1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OLD Speedcast

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 86-1Ton, Apr 15, 2008.

1. 86-1Ton

86-1Ton Junior Member

Hey all... I recently bought my '86 Chevy and i'm looking for any kind of information regarding this plow and it's functionality... it worked great when i pulled it off for the season, but i'm looking for any trouble spots or stuff with them... oh, and how to remove the pump - specifically the joystick controls! Thanks - Ryan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Grease anything that moves. Change the fluid (ATF is fine). You can get an owners manual at the Fisher web site. It's free, it's a pdf file.

Why do you want to remove the pump and controller? Those are generally not considered seasonal items -- once they're installed, they should stay put.

jp

3. 86-1Ton

86-1Ton Junior Member

[​IMG]

i'll post a couple more pics when i find them later today...

4. 86-1Ton

86-1Ton Junior Member

really, they aren't? oh, ok... i thought they would come off for the off season... ok, that works then...
    greased - done they day it came home... fluid change - same day!... thanks - Ryan

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Your subject line says "OLD Speedcaster". Heck, that's not "old"! That's one of those new-fangled electric over hydraulic units. :D Below is a picture of my CJ-7 with the belt-driven pump & valve body under the hood -- that's almost "old".;)

I see what you're talking about now. I take the head gear off mine in the summer. If I had your set-up, I'd disconnect the controls & electrical connections at the pump, stuff the cables behind the grill, and remove the head gear (including the pump).

jp

6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Oops, No Picture.

Here it is:

cj-7 plow1.jpg

7. 86-1Ton

86-1Ton Junior Member

well... it is my first plow... and my brother that went with me to pick her up said it was old... but ok, that sounds better...

is there any trick to pulling the cables off the pump...?

i'm working this week on a lightbar and 'brushguard' accessory to mount right to the plow frame... should be fun...

8. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

I grease up the exposed portions of the cylinders and remove the belt for the belt drive pump. I have remounted the controller so it is more flush with the dash area so I only remove the control handle.
    If I was you I would do some summertime maintenance and replace your cutting edge before you have to replace the whole trip edge.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I was semi-kidding about the age. My guess is that your plow set-up is about the same age as your truck. Is that "old"? Well, I guess that depends on your definition of old.

I'm not familiar with how the cables mount on your set-up. Can you snap a close-up?

jp

10. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I'm not sure when the different versions of Speedcast were available. I have 1990 dodge which has the belt driven pump with the control valve under the hood.

This winter I bought a complete 8 foot plow to get the bigger blade and it had an under hood electric pump with the same valve I have. I believe this one to be older than 1990 but not sure.

The one on 86's truck looks like it the electric pump lift cylinder combo with cable operated valve mounted on the head gear.

Does anyone know when these different units were available.

11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't know for sure, but it looks exactly like a Western pump/valve. I know Fisher and Western are owned by the same Corp..

12. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

speed cast plows........... there great plows, my dad has one its over 30 years old and stil runs great