1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old speedcast on new truck?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Grotonems5, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

Anyone ever try putting the old type speedcast plows on a new (07and up) truck? Impossible? Improbable? Stupid? They are a dime a dozen in good shape :mechanic:

If it has been done or talked about it before please point me in that direction!!
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure it could be done. But, why would you want to do that?
  3. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

nostalgia? :jester: Just curious if it had been done or talked about
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

legal reasons not to is one major reason manf have gone to quick mount styles. its for crash ratings i guess basicly.

and if you have the talent and skills and parts you could do it.

also have to go electric pump basicly or get real creative for belt drive hydro.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

As I remember it, I dont remember what the years are, but it is against federal law to put a plow (that leave the plow tower attached to the truck if the plow is removed) onto a truck that was manufactured after (i think) 1998 or 96 some time around there.

too many people died from being hit in the head by plow lifting arms in accidents.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's illegal to run the old style plates on a truck built after 1/1/94. The Chevy GMT 400 push plates fit up through 98/00 of course. I do know a guy that ran an engine driven Speedcaster on a 96 Tahoe last winter. The push plates bolted right on, had to get creative with the engine bracket. Worked fine though.
  7. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

Oh I see, makes sense I suppose.