1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old School

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mercer_me, Feb 22, 2011.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I helped my grand father today. He had me cut down some trees for him. He's 85 years old and works in the woods almost every day, he just loves working in the woods. He says he has to get out and cut wood or he would go crazy. He also loves his John Deere 420 crawler. It's not a dozer it's a crawler, I'm not sure what the diference is but, he allways says it's a crawler. I like helping him and I try to get over to se him and my grand mother at least once a weak. He all ways tries to pay me but, I never take any money. I all ways say, "Pupa I don't want your money, I just like helping you."

My grand father pulling an Oak log out with his John Deere 420 Crawler.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Very cool! We can learn so much from that generation. They may not know how to use a computer or iPhone, but they have degrees in common sense and know how to work. My grandparents have all passed, but they taught me so much of real-life lessons. It's so great you make the time to spend with your grandfather on a regular basis.

3. mercer_me

Thank you. I learn alot from my grand father. He has alot to teach. When an old person talks you listen becouse what they have to say is important. I love listening to his srories about back when he was younger and he worked in the woods full time. We are actualy alot alike, we love working in the woods, we are perfectionist and we don't like to go far from home. My parents named me after him.

4. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

Very cool photos, that is nice looking old John Deere. Very cool taking the time to help him out, I wish I would have had more time with my grandfather he worked construction full time and I've heard plenty of stories, but there is nothing like getting it from the source. enjoy your time with him and soak up all the knowledge and stories he wants to share.

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Pretty neat!

I was always thought that a crawler was like a bulldozer with a bucket instead of blade. Just MHO.

6. mercer_me

I'm not sure. My grand father all ways called it a crawler.

7. starc

starc Senior Member

Cool story... Lost my grandparents on both sides more than 20 years ago along with my father more than 15 years ago. Life is not what it used to be at all....enjoy your time with him.

8. mercer_me

Your exactly rite. My generation is to worried about every thing. My grand father said people never used to worry as much back then and people were happier. He said it was just better back then.

9. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

nice pics and it seems like you have lots of great stories to tell about your grandfather!

10. mercer_me

I do have alot of storries about him. He has done every thing from driving a school bus to working in the woods.

11. Danhoe

Danhoe Senior Member

I had the pleasure of working for my grandpa. Cut my teeth on a Cat D2, plowed snow with it. Great pictures, thanks, Dan

12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Dozers come set up with 6 way blades from the factory and are geared for such, crawlers usually don't and have aftermarket blades.,

13. mercer_me

Thanks for the explenation. My grand father's blade is just up and down, it doesn't angle or tilt.

14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You are very fortunate to have your grandfather around still.
    Cherish these days.
    I lost my dad's father a number of years ago and miss him dearly.

15. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

That's awesome...I never had the pleasure of meeting either of my grandfathers since they both passed before I was born. Consider yourself very lucky and enjoy every moment you have. :salute:

16. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

Also, be thankful that you have a relationship with him. My fathers parents are gone, and I don't really "know" my mothers parents.

17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Never knew any of my Grandfathers, my fathers father was killed in WWII just before he was born and my mother's parents died doing Missionary work when she was very young, she was adopted by a Bishop of Gloucesters Cathedral in England, he past away when I was 7.
    You are very fortunate, the pictures in the bush remind me of firewood chores with my brother and Dad. Doesn't seem like a chore looking back but i remember whinning about it.

18. mercer_me

I never got to meet my grand father on my Dad's side. He past away long before I was born. I realy wish I could have met him becouse he was another one of those guys that did it all. But, like everybody said I'm very fortunate to know my Mom's father.

19. starc

starc Senior Member

Great post mercer_me, nice to see people speaking some true feelings...

20. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Very Cool!!!! I think I just saw this post over on Arbrorist Site. It is very cool being able to spend time with your grandfather, you will learn more than you think. The fact that he still likes to go to the woods is awesome and a big part of why he is still here I bet. All of my grandparents are dead but did know some of them. I have a great aunt who is 90 and I visit her at least every week or so, I could sit and listen to her for hours her mind is as sharp as ever. Again very cool. My family has spent alot of time in the woods as well so this one hit close to home for me.