1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old school western problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plowmann, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Plowmann

Plowmann Junior Member

I have 80's version Western mechano electric cable hydro unit on restored Chevy Blazer ... Just bought the plow, frame, and hydro unit used. Got it all installed and am testing. As of now after changing the fluid and trying the unit via control stick (with angle hydro line looped back into hydro unit plow not attached), the plow boom raises and lowers (no motor), but when I move the control stick left or right the motor runs and the plow boom ALSO SLOWLY rises. This is obviously WRONG ... could it be because the plow is not on or a stuck valve inside hydro unit? Maybe I got ripped off - I guess worst case i could look for a rebuilt hydro uit?? Any help would be apprieciated. The guy I bought it from claims not to have used the setup as it was a backup.

Oh and it has meyers lights - did western use meyers lights at one time or should I be using a meyers wiring diagram?

Gary :help:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You need to adjust the cables and the 3 way valve? Up front. Ck Westerns website for the instruction manuals, and the proper way to adjust everything

3. Plowmann

Plowmann Junior Member

Oops

Thanks ... I found a manual and am printing - guess I should have hooked up the plow instaed of looping the hydro hose for test!!!

Will try to adjust after hooking to plow

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like the cable for up down needs adjusted. It is not centered properly.