1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old School vs New School

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mowahman, Jan 8, 2002.

1. mowahman

mowahman Junior Member

While I was out this AM making the rounds, I got to thinking, back when I started plowing in the mid 70's with a Ford 8N tractor, "how come, or why does it seem that the road conditions were better back then than they are now in regards to travel surface conditions??" This doesn't make much sense, back then, we had manual angle plows if we were lucky, trucks were not as efficient or comfortable back then, (heat was an option !!) Spreading salt on State roads was done by shoveling salt out of the asphalt chute doors on the tailgate, or IF you were lucky to get the truck that the guy owned a tow behind drop spreader on his farm, you simply had to refill the spreader now and again. Now a days we have Calcium, Potassium chloride, ice ban, ice melt, salt, and a tirade of products, pushers, loaders, sanders, spreaders, V plows, poly plows, auto trannies, power angle plows, snow foils, U edges, blowers, etc., and the job just doesn't seem to be any better with all this new stuff. Was wondering if any one else noticed this or have I had too much time behind the wheel in the last 2 days????
  2. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I think that because it was harder work back then, the results seemed better.

The real improvements are in the amount of area one truck can do now. To test my theory, the next time you are plowing, every time you have to change the angle of the plow, get out and walk around the truck once. :D
  3. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

I agree with Dave :D
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I tend to agree with DaveK, too. I got called for an estimate the other day. Quoted $25. The wife looked at me and said "Is that all?" I told her it would only take about 10-15 minutes. She said it took her husband about 45 and he'd been plowing that lot for years. I couldn't figure it out until I realized he was using a manual angle plow on an ancient tractor at two MPH. Told her I'd do a better job cleaning up, too.