1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old School Hydraulics

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MOPIG74, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MOPIG74

MOPIG74 Junior Member

I Have The Old Style Hydraulic's For My Rig,ya Know,the Old Belt Driven Pump And The Two Steel Rods W/yellow Knobs Coming Through The Dash! Does Anybody Else Still Run This Set Up?and Does Anybody Know Where I Could Obtain Parts In Case I Would Ever Need Them?

Every Thing Is Working Just Fine Right Now!
    Has Anybody Had Troubles With This System?
  2. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I just put the same setup from a '74 on to my '79 W150. It seems to work very well aside from one problem. On the driver's side of valve block where the pressure line comes from the pump, that aluminum piece tends to crack. That is the high pressure bypass.
    I will post a fix for this in the next couple days in the pictures forum but the other option would be to buy a whole new valve block from someone like granger. It's really just a simple two spool valve block and "prince" brand has "manual stack valves" which are almost exactly the same.

The packing/seals for the cylinders can be had at any hydraulic shop along with any of the hoses.

As for the pump, there has been some discussion on where to get one but I haven't heard a good answer yet on that.

I would love to get some pictures of your plow setup to see how it all looked when it was factory. -Phillip
  3. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I did have one of these but I sold it.
    I had to fix the valving the last year all there was is o rings and one gav out.
    It has a oil tank mounted on the fender well.
    I'll tell ya this was a fast plow and simple that never broke for the most part.
  4. MOPIG74

MOPIG74 Junior Member

Kentuckydiesel-Thanks for the come-back!
    I know what ya mean about that high-pressure bypass cracking,samething happend to my uncle twice over the years,other than that he hasn't had too much trouble! My one cousin on the otherhand,has an electric pump that he had to replace twice,and a proportioning valve that been giving him trouble.All in All I think my system is a little more trouble free,at least I hope!

Im a little new at this computer stuff and I dont have a scanner yet! But when I get one, I'll try and get some pic's to you!

Another question I got for you guy's: What type of oil do you run in your pumps? When I bought the plow,the previos owner had tranny-oil in it!
    When I switched it over to my truck this past summer,I filled it with power-steering fluid.That's what my uncle told me to use!Is this correct?
  5. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Well, this may be wrong but I've been using John Deere low viscosity hydraulic fluid which is what we put in our tractors. I figure if it's good enough for them, surely it's good enough for an old snow plow.

I agree about the electric setups. My Grandparents have a '84 F250 which had a 7'6" western plow installed right after it was bought new. The plow itself has been great, the hyd. motor on the other hand has given us quite a few problems as of late as have the valves and cables in the setup. I really like this straight mechanical setup. While finding parts may be harder, it's a much more reliable setup. Heck, that valve is just like a loader valve on a tractor, and i've never had any issues with one of those. Other than the o-rings and that stupid bypass, there is nothing that can go wrong with the rest of the valving. -Phillip