1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old school highway salting

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Neige, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Now who here has never done that...

Should be in the "Remember this" thread...
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That was posted last week

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

better spread if you row that shovel like a canoe paddle...
    Salt! salt! salt!
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It's been awhile..but if you use a plastic snow shovel with canoe spin at the end your right.!!!
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If they spiked it with Magic, they could do one scoopful per mile.
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My grand father said for the longest time in the area I live now that there would be two guys with shovels in the back of a truck hand sanding intersections and hills.
  8. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

I was gonna say grain shovels make pretty damn good paddles, like the fancy ones you see up north for half the price,
  9. CCsnowpusher

CCsnowpusher Junior Member

There is a company a town over from me that sands his parking lots like that. Always has two guys in the back tossing sand. They just give me that look as I sand our lot and am in and out and onto the next.
  10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That reminds me of one event years ago when my dual on my salt truck passed me as I stopped. Sheared the studs off, had to load the truck on the skid loader trailer and pull it with another truck to finish the lot. Looked like total a$$ holes, but were able to finish and head back to the shop to replace the studs... on both sides. :dizzy:
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Our chain broke on a 4 yard spreader and it seemed like the easier way to unload since the lot really needed spread also.
  12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I was told the same thing here as well, two guys on the back of each government truck doing the spreading by hand, back then spreaders were a rare thing. People back then were in much better shape as well.
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I can see it now, you driving and your dad throwing the salt.
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well you got the me driving part right. LOL
  15. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

Spent years hand throwing got good at it looked like a machine spread it.
    Man I'm old and our equipment has come a long way.

When one of our spreaders break I will still go help them finish thier route hop in the back and fling away.
  16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That's awesome!
  17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

thats how you do it when the salt spreader breaks 1 hr before opening of stores