1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old School Fisher Speedcast

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tepete71, Jan 9, 2010.

1. tepete71

tepete71 Junior Member
    from 03103

Anybody have experience cutting down a "stretched" 7'11" speed cast? I have an old monster that I'm thinking of cutting down to put on a wrangler. If not, I think I could get 150 bucks out of this beast in just scrap steel pricing.

Any thoughts?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So this is at least your third thread about this plow. We offer advice and information. You don't like some of it, then proceed to tell us you have "mad" fabrication skills and can do anything you want.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=96085
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=96109

I don't why you even bother to post......

And I would still like to know who is paying $800/ton for scrap in your area......

3. tepete71

tepete71 Junior Member
    from 03103

Positive vs. negative...

So, that would make my modified 8' plow 375 lbs? That's odd, it seems closer to double that. Great info though, I'll go grab my neighbor so he can help unload it and I can start the mods. Roughly $300/ton in manchester NH, I checked.

Wish me luck, and thanks for all the great help guys!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I knew there was another thread......

I would be just as interested as you to find out where it went. Only trying to give you common sense advice. It just doesn't make sense to put that plow on any of your current trucks. Even if you cut down the ends, that thing will still be way too heave for your jeep. And if you cut some off the top, it won't plow worth a nickel.

In my opinion, you would be much further ahead to sell that 8 foot Speedcast. Decide which vehicle you want a plow on, and get something appropriate. I would be inclined to set up your Jeep.

BTW, if you add notes to someone else's quote you should modify the text such as a different color. Otherwise it looks like I said something I didn't.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. tepete71

tepete71 Junior Member
    from 03103

I'm inclined to agree, that the wrangler would be my best option based on what I have found on this group.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering today what the mod would look like to turn the speedcast into a modified backblade on the wrangler. I love the challenge when somebody tells me I can't do something. Personally I don't think there is anything you can't do, given the right planning, forethought and resources.

BTW, I took the thing off the back of my F150 alone today. Slid a 4x4 that was 12 feet long down under it, against a 4 foot 4x4 butted against the back of the truck. Put a heavy duty eyering at the end of the ong 4X4, and winched the thing off the truck sliding along the 4x4 so as to not rip off my tailgate. Worked great. Once it had hit the ground, I jacked it up to pull the truck away and left the blade blocked up at a 45 degree angle in case it needs to go back on.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That could be interesting as a back blade I suppose. Set up so you push backwards or forward? It would make some great counterweight too.

7. tepete71

tepete71 Junior Member
    from 03103

I was thinking backwards...but have seen some goofy rear mounted, forward plowing set-ups, I think in the ads on this site.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pull plows are very popular in some areas. Tightly packed resis with a garage at the end of the driveway they are great. Backup to the door, pull the snow out, turn around, push it off the side.