1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old plows on new trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERBAND, Sep 22, 2003.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Has anyone installed an older plow setup on a "new" vehicle. I have an 85 K10 with a 7.5 Western LD (cable operated) the Western is like new, it was kept indoors and the cutting edge has little wear. The truck has 65K miles and was used exclusively on an estate. I am buying a new (04) Chev1500 Short bed/reg cab and I am seriously interested in using the old western blade and power setup.
    I heard that the new insta/quick/minute... mounts have something to do with crush zones or liability. Anyone have a conventional hard attached plow frame on a newer GM?.
    What is the feasability and cost of a new plow frame adapted to an old 80's type frame .

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

hate to tell yo this but neither western nor fischer have made a conventional mount for some years and have not offered a conventional mount for the new style chevys. You can still get the uni-mount for the 04 but you may as well go with an ultra mount for about the same price.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I agree with Crash935!!! and besides, you dont want to ruin the looks of a brand new truck with an old style plow. If the plow you have is in that good of shape you should try to sell it outright to someone with an older chevy (tons around!!;) ) or see what a plow dealer would give you for it on a trade in situation!! I know around here most of the snowplow suppliers have at least one or two used plows sitting around that would fit a newer truck such as yours, almost all the time. you should check into that!! Dave

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm sure you could fab up something to make it work.I don't think you'll find a factory mounting kit for that plow on a newer truck.

I'd probably just sell the old one and go with a newer plow.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I had a hard mount cable operated Western that I swapped from my new 90 GMC to a 94 Yukon to a 97 Chevy.
    Got 10 hard winters outta that plow ! My bud bought it and is running it on his 94 Chevy.

When I got my 01 I bought a new Ultra Mount. The plow guy said I couldn't put the old plow on my new truck.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The typical welder reply is sure it can be done. In truth it could be. You could remove the bumber, fab some mounting pads for it and some brackets to hold the bumper in place in front of the plowframe. The question is why. If that plow is in good shape get some good cash for it. Some shops may even give you money towards a new plow. The can turn around and sell your old one.

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ive seen a few Municipalities running Conventional Fishers on new Super Duty Fords. Looks pretty good on them too. Any good welder/fabricator could surely rig it up with a little time and some dedication.

Jay

8. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I am running an 8' Western Pro plow on my 98 f250.Had it fabricated to work.I plow 60 residentials without a problem since the modification.Howe Bros. in Troy ,NY did it for me .$350.00 for the swap.At the time I could still order yhe under frame,but it was close to 700.00. My plow is from 1987 and still is running strong,with just normal maintenance.I am even doing work for other guys with Westerns because the western shop is out of the way.I say GO FOR IT. e-mail me with any questions.If selling how much do you want ?