1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hortboy, Aug 24, 2003.

1. hortboy

hortboy Junior Member

Hey Guys, Newbie to site here,

I am a well established bussiness owner and have been doing alot of my winter work solo. Well last year I was burried by the snow and ended up hiring p/t help to clear walks, steps and sidewalks at properties I plow for. This year I am going to be prepared. I just pruchased an older plow truck 1979 Ford F250 w/ a plow already on it, it is a factory installed plow. I figure if I get behind I'll have my helper out there w/ me and maybe hire some other p/t time help.

I didn't want to spend alot on a plow truck because if no-snow, It will sit till next year.

The plow is fully operational, what should I do as preventative maintenance before the season? Truck and plow?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Click on this link, scroll down and look under "Articles". You'll find enough to keep busy. It's Chuck Smith's site - also owner of PlowSite.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/

Welcome to PlowSite:waving: . Questions? Just ask. There are a few guys here who have been around ice and snow for a couple of years and can probably answer most.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Actually Chuck is not the owner of Plowsite. Although he is mainly responsible for it. Plowsite belonged to Chuck Keough who then sold it to Sean Adams.

Hopefully CHUCK SMITH can give a better history lesson.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i plow with a 79 f250 stick

7-6 meyers

the truck has never let me down
    been using the same truck for 15yrs:nod: :nod:

cardoctor

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, the truck never let him down, but he cant say the same for the plow! :D Just pulling your leg a little Doc! Mike :waving:

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

actually the plow only failed once
    and that was because i rammed it into the curb
    and broke the a-frame
    but i have a spare plow at my shop

cardoctor:nono:

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hey Mike, what crawled up yours??!!:alien: I've seen the same thing posted a couple of times recently but didn't have time to reply to those threads at the time. Anyway, he's just stating the facts Jack. ;)

Hortboy,
    Welcome to Plowsite! At the top right of your screen there is a Search link. Click that and enter the brand plow you have along with maintenance and there will surely be threads here that you can check out that should help also. Good luck with the truck & the season.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Another correction to history:

If my memory serves me well, Dodge was the only manufacturer to offer a factory installed plow, a Meyers on the "SnoFighter" package on 3/4 ton trucks. I don't recall Ford ever doing it.

I can't remember if the Ford's of that vintage had the TTB front axle or a solid tube, I hope it's the latter.

Your PM on the truck will be the same as for any old vehicle, a thorough going over to fix any trouble before it happens. You didn't mention what kind of plow you have, but generic instructions would be to flush and change the hydraulic reservoir, check the hoses for wear, check the welds for cracks, and make sure all electrical contacts are clean. You can do a search here as well to learn some other tricks.

Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

10. hortboy

hortboy Junior Member

Thanks for all the info,

this site is already in "my favorites" column.

Well wish me luck, I am sending one of my employees to get the truck tomorrow. It's in Queens NY about four hours away. The price was too good to pass up.

If you see a 79 ford w/ a plow on the highway and it happens to be sitting on the roadside - stop and lend a hand.

But hopefully he'll make it back w/ no problems as the seller promised me.

J

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

The older Ford 's were good tough trucks,and they were solid axle back then.

Welcome to Plowsite,you'll find a ton of good info here.

12. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Remind him to keep an eye on the engine temp, (especially since you don't know the peculiarities of that particular truck yet). There have been a number of threads here about driving with the plow on, and how that effects engine cooling.

Welcome to PlowSite.... :)

13. mrshep68

mrshep68 Junior Member

the 1973-1979 series ford trucks hold up well for plowing. A local contractor i know runs about 12 or so for commercial plowing.. lets say he has more trouble with the *meyer* plows he runs then the trucks.

I would look at adding a second battery since that series truck has room on both sides for batteries.

14. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

One of my trucks is a 1979 F-350 4x4 with a meyers plow .The truck pushes anything you put in front of it .I have never had any problems with the plow or the truck.

15. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

hortboy...........

I would suggest that you not let the truck sit all year & use it only when it snows.......I would suggest that you drive the truck about once a week just to keep it in running condition...battery charged, etc. :)

16. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

never seen a ford come out of the factory with a plow on it.i installed plows at the ford dealer i once worked for.maybe thats what you mean.