1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old plow on new truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GJCTC, Dec 3, 2013.

1. GJCTC

GJCTC Junior Member
    from 15904

I had a straight blade Ultra mount on a 2001 GMC and want to switch it to a 2010 GMC. The dealer said Western changed wiring and was going to cost over $2000 to have old plow put on new truck. Anyone have experience making this kind of switch and any wiring tips. Thanks

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I would be looking for a new plow for that much

Aren't the mounts the same?,I think 99-10 is the same don't quote me. All you might need is headlight adaptors.

I would be doing it myself

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is your ultra a relay or ISO unit? That's gunna matter the most
    99-10 mounts. No. There was a few frame changes in there spark,

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Thanks I thought I read yesterday they were the same when I was looking for a boss mount for a customer

5. GJCTC

GJCTC Junior Member
    from 15904

Thanks,
    I started doing it myself, mount is different I bought one and put it on but having trouble with wiring. Jumped in without a lot of research. Will have to look into headlight adapters and don't know difference between relay or ISO unit, unit was bought in 2002. Dealer explained something about Western changed polarity of lights to somehow protect vehicle computer???? didn't exactly follow. Maybe I should get new wiring harness

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say that might be your best bet. Not being rude but if your not sure of relay or ISO module. Or what polarity your lights are etc... You might be asking for a lot of help later on dwn the road.

7. GJCTC

GJCTC Junior Member
    from 15904

Thanks again, not rude at all. Had plow installed new almost a dozen years ago and it worked with almost no problems, didn't need to know more. Just thought someone may have had the same retro fit to save me some time, I'll get there.