1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old plow new truck, legal question?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plowfixguys, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Yesterday a young man came to the shop with Western conventional mount plow, complete with plow, frame, lighting, power unit, wiring and so on. The unit looked almost new, I mean NEW! He is asking if we could install it on a 2001 F150. My question is, is it legal to have that type of plow on that new of a truck? Is it legal for me to install the unit? He seems like a nice kid and said he got the plow from his uncle that had it in the garage for years (like I said it looks like it was cleaned put away a year after it was bought) he is willing to pay the fabrication costs and I always like to sell a job if I can.
    Any comments?
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

Why Not? Not sure why your asking this question?
  3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Can't install a conventional on newer trucks. Dangerous to other vehicles in crash. I think it's 96-on but don't quote me. Maybe have him sign a release stating it's for off road use only and not legal for the streets.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

FVMSSA prohibits conventional mounts on anything manufacturered after 01/01/1994
  5. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Sell em the job. Sign release. You covered your end. I know you are correct about having older unit on truck.
    Although, do the police really enforce anymore?
  6. Plowfixguys

I am asking because I don't want to lead him in the wrong direction. He did not understand why there are removable plow systems now days, so after I explained it to him, he brought up the point, does it (the law) say "you cant manufacture" the old type of plow or "you cant install" the older type plows any longer. Not sure how the law reads either. I tried to sell him a new one already, but no go.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cops do not care as they are not charged with enforcing the FVMSSA. But if is an accident the truck owner will not have the liability it will fall to the installer whom if is paid money is held to the higher standard of a professional.
  8. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah get a release. insurance will not cover hm if he is over weight rating which I imagine it is on a 1/2 ton
    dont know plow weight or much about 150s but i know my plows all weigh too much for my new sierra 1500 by alot.
    whatever u do make sure your ass is covered legally
    or make the install really expensive and worth it to you.
    as far as other laws these guys know more than me about old style plows on new trucks etc
  9. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

what about all the meyers that everybody just leaves the headgear on year round? same thing isnt it? my light tube is froze in the reciever and i know many that are.
  10. pyro29

pyro29 Member

DON'T DO IT!

Had this discussion with the lawyer last season. As another poster had already mentioned, you, as the working professional, are held to a higher standard, the customer will plead ignorance, signed release or not. Even with the release, you, as the installer, had just violated a federal regulation and admitted to it by drafting the release.

As far as the Neyer headgear goes, it is removable so both the manufacturer and the installer are covered, it is up the end user to use his equipment properly and legally.

If you want to make a buck and help this customer out, offer to find him a used unit...
  11. Plowfixguys

Thanks guys. I agree with all that said don't do it. We also have an auto and truck repair business and go through that same type of thing when it comes to brakes and suspension repairs, especially when they want cheap. We are all held to a higher standard and we should all maintain that standard.
    The up side is him mother is going to spring for 50% of a new plow. Wish I had some used one, they were gone by the end of October.
    Thanks again for your opinions.
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have a 8 foot unimount for salae 1600 bucks if that guy is interested.

how much would it cost to convert the plow to a unimount, it should be just buying the light tower, and some welding right?
  13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

they are for 1994 or old.

tell him get old trucks that will fit mount.

or trade for other one.

it sad lot lowballer use those on their 95 to 2003 chevy 1500.
  14. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

i dont know mutch about Western but i know fisher old plow fit on minute mount head gear that wath i did to fix my mistake of buying an old plow set up and sell the conventionel mount to a garage they use it off rode only to clear ther lot