1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old New guy with Questions

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Tomas090, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Many years ago, used to plow with brand new Chevy 3/4, electric/hydraulic under hood mount (One of first in area, came with pulley pump but dealer forgot to order A/C and when sub market installed caused plow pump to continually break belts so I had one of first Electric/hydraulic in area, after dealer spent hundreds on batteries, Alternator from TopKick etc, damm fast plow:) 7 foot Fisher etc

Have been having our plow work down by contractors for years but becoming hard to find people to do family and friends, so bought a good shape older Ford F 150, not sure of the Fisher model except that it has belt driven pump, looks like coffee can (reservoir) sitting on driver side of engine

Truck seems solid, absolutely no rust, clutch is only + 700 miles, motor does have 175K, all drive train appears solid but have nit stressed anything yet

My huge multi part question:

Problems I should look for as I set up truck, fix what needs to be fixed etc for upcoming Maine winter

I know I need drivers side Plow light, broken...little things.

Better to look for one light (Square style) or would my old eyes benefit from newer type lights at what cost?

Thanks for any "Starting advice" as to what to expect from this truck and plow, I'm sure there will be much more as I go along

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Where are you in Maine? If you're close enough, I or someone else here could come look it over and we could talk about it. Once a month, I'm traveling the area from Litchfield (west) to Belfast (east) and Waterville (north) to rte 17 (south).

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Clutch with a hydro pump plow,that's a good combo. clutch in and gas it a bit and the plow pops right up.

4. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Sounds good to me

Hi Mick, thanks for the offer

truck is sitting at Brother In Laws in Westbrook for about two weeks, will be at my house in Portland after that

Once I get it together (Reg/Ins etc) maybe we can meet up in Augusta area sometime?

I learned to plow back in late 60's with 1964 International Sprout, 4 cyl, Meyers plow

You had to dump clutch at rev the crap out of that little 4 to get blade to lift. To angle or lift, you had two knobs connected to rods to valve, put foot on knob to angle right, put foot on dash and pull to angle left

Hand vacuum wipers that would need to be assisted to clear windows, almost no heat, so much rust and holes (Typical Sprout) that anytime you hit a puddle, water came in sides roof and gushed up from floor

Recall plowing a friends small gas station once, caught edge of cement island and Sprout spun around, both doors popped open and rear hatch popped up

ANYTHING is a vast improvement over those days

wish I had that 78 Chevy back, plowed 32 driveways, Polynesian Village Restaurant (150x800) and 4 condo complexes for 4 years, only malfunction was replacing front driveshaft CV joint

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just let me know what will work for you. I'll be in Augusta on Sept 16th in the morning (short appt at 9:00); then I plan on going through Augusta to Litchfield on the 24th. You need so many posts to send a Private Message, but if you can't PM, send me an email at Mick.J.Smith@att.net . Remind me and I'll bring you a sample of the Magic Salt I mix myself. If you don't know what that is, do a search using "Magic Salt" or look up their website - http://www.magicsalt.info/

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a dealer for Magic Salt. Just somebody who found out how well it works.

6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I think you'll be very happily surprised if you try some of the newer lights that are out, I don't mean HID either. They have really improved. I ran a Fischer for years, -it served me well, and finally upgraded the truck and plow last year. The plow lights were significantly better! -Brighter! I could actually see at night! Good luck.

7. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

No brain at all :-(

I had looked at so many used trucks I guess I had Ford on my mind

As you can see from my signature it is a GMC 1500 I refer to, NOT a F 150

Sorry about any confusion