1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old myers electric touch maintenance

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by vintage steel, Nov 21, 2011.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I recently built a plow truck out of an old (free) 8' Meyer's electric-touch plow. The plow sat unused for years I completely rebuilt the pump there was some rust in the cylinder that seemed to come out with a light honing. It seems to work well now Thumbs Up. I filled it with ATF to flush it out and used it a few times to get everything moving again. I would now like to entirely drain the system and re-fill it with Plow pump fluid. So, my questions are:
    1: How do I drain the entire system?
    2: is there anything else I need to do or look out for on this old plow?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

My first question is why would you want to drain it now?
    I run atf and have never had a single issue.
    If you "have" to drain it completely you can get all the info you need at:
    http://www.smithbrothersservices.com/

3. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

Thunbs up Dave....ATF

nice to hear someone else using ATF tranny fluid in a meyers..tryed that blue pump fluid...see to be like smurf piss...it didnt work at al..back to the good ol trusty ATF......And far as rthem rusty pitted cylinder you seem to have...may try to clean of the rust but....most times ,,,no luck cuzz tend to leak fluid then suck in water moisture.into the plow fluid...then the fluid look milky looking...like a nasty strwberry milkshake,,LOL ..purchace new ones and pitched them rusty ones..best of luck your way.,

4. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I filled it with ATF because it was cheap.I was just using it to check for leaks and such. I figured I would put the Meyer's fluid in it after I got all the bugs worked out. I would like to drain it just because it has sat for years and a system flush couldn't hurt anything. As far as the cylinder goes, so far so good, no leaks yet. Thumbs Up.
    ...so, are there any tricks to draining the system to get out all the fluid?
    -R

5. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Unfortunately you should have filled with plow fluid the first time, but I understand why you did what you did, lesson learned. The reason being is that a rebuild is the best/only time to get all the fluid really out. What you should do now is remove the angle cylinders from the plow, hang them from the chrome end, disconnect the quick couplings, and let them drain. You can also search youtube for a video that does it with them connected to the A-frame. For the pump, drain all the fluid via the drain plug, then turn upside down and drain from the fill for a few hours. That'll get most of that ATF out. Despite what the guys above say, I have done the ATF thing, and it sucks compared to plow fluid. Notice those guys are in NY/PA, here in Maine it is just too cold. Below 20 degrees the ATF makes the headlights dim bad and the plow slow.

6. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Excellent, thanks for the advice. If I get 90% of the atf out, it will be virtually gone when I change it out at the end of the season, (or the first time I blow a hydraulic line).
    Thanks for all the help
    Cheers :drinkup:
    -R
    Side note:
    I have found an old gear oil jug with the screw on tip works very well for squirting the fluid into the fill up hole. You guys probably already new that

7. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I use one of these little pumps that screw on the quart bottles, and I stuck a piece of hard brake line in the end of the little hose with a 90 degree bend about an inch from the end. I made if for my wifes transmissions where you have to pump the fluid up into it (no dipstick) and I've never taken it off. [​IMG]