1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old model 25 question?!?!?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by antiqueplow, Dec 22, 2007.

1. antiqueplow

antiqueplow Junior Member
    from Indiana

First of all, hello. This is my first post on this forum. I recently sold my old Western for a not quite so old Sno-Way. My Sno-Way is a 1998 model 25D. It is joystick controlled. The problem is that the plow goes up when I push left or right on the joystick. Have any of you ever had this issue? My thought is that the joystick is bad, but how do I check it? I can still use the plow as it will still go up and down, but I can't angle it. I has been rather disappointing. I realize it is an older plow, but you would think it was a dinosour by the response from dealers and service guys. I haven't had any luck getting this issue fixed. Thanks again for any help!!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you sure you have the grill plug properly aligned and attached?

3. antiqueplow

from Indiana

yeah, it only goes one way. I have had it off and on several times testing the contacts, etc.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5. antiqueplow

from Indiana

Thanks, I have attempted to "peck" on the spool valve, but it still is doing the same thing. Do you know if the joystick and harness are still available from Sno-Way. As I said, the dealers I have been speaking to act like all I have is a good boat anchor.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm pretty sure the joystick and harness are still available, but I'm uncertain this will solve your problem. A stuck spool valve is the most likely suspect. It should move freely in the bore. I would not start throwing money at it until the spool valve was operating properly.

JMO, but it's an educated opinion.;)

Page 17 in the manual describes servicing the spool valve.

New dealers may not have experience with the Fenner System but Steve and Andy at the factory can give you excellent support our stop by here. Have the serial number available if you call.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  7. antiqueplow

from Indiana

Thanks so much Basher! I'm gonna tear into it tonight. I'll let you know what I find...

thanks again! Merry CHRISTmas!!

8. antiqueplow

from Indiana

Basher!! Okay, I took the spool valve apart. There were what seemed to be some rough spots on the spool itself. It did not seem to be hanging at all. It seemed to be smooth and free. The plow is still raising when it should be going left and right. I did run a jumper wire from the harness coming out of the joystick. I could make it raise and lower by jumping to the solenoid, but it did nothing when I tried to jump the left and right solenoids. Do you think I should replace the spool valve, solenoids, etc. I don't want to waste money on it, but what would be the best way to isolate the issue? As I said in my previous post, this was taken to a supposed "shop," and they could not fix it either.

Thanks again, and any further help is very much appreciated.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are the angle coils getting Magnetism?

And when you charge the angle coils do the valves move?

10. antiqueplow

from Indiana

Basher, I need to apoogize for my lack of plow knowledge in advance. How do I tell if the angle solenoids are being magnitized? I can tell you that if I run a jumper directily to the contact on each solenoid, nothing happens. If I run the same jumper to the up and down solenoids, the plow goes up and down accordingly. Again, if I hit the left or right direction on the joystick, the plow raises.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Page 10 of the Fenner repair manual will run you though the procedure to test the angle system.