1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old mm1 with underhood hyrdaulics, questions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by hankhill, Oct 31, 2010.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

I'm buying a parts truck that has a old fisher mm1 with the underhood hydraulics, I would like to hook it up to one of my other trucks.

I've only used electric/hydraulic plows I've never even seen one of these before.

how do they even work? what connects to the motor to make the plow operate?

2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

hydraulic pump mounted to your block that is belt driven off the crank pulley. hyd lines to control valve, hyd lines from control valve to cylinders on plow. 2 cables through firewall from control valve to cab mount controller.

edit: I shouldn't say so much, mine is pre MM.

Less prone to freeze up. I've got one and I love it cause they're so damn simple to work on. The wiring on my newer plow is a maintenance career in itself I find :) That's why I'm on here searching now !
    Pete

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. hankhill

hankhill Member

ok, hows it belt driven off the crank though, I have serpentine setup not v belts

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Mine has an extra pulley on the crank. It has a belt from there to the pump. Check the fisher website you might find it there.

5. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Those setup are great as mentioned. Very easy to work on and they never fail. What truck do you plan on putting this on?

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

they also used a second pully that went on the water pump to drive the plow pump

7. hankhill

hankhill Member

I plan on putting it on my 93 f350, 7.3l diesel

my unimount pump needs rebuild so I'm pulling this plow off my parts truck when I get it and will try to put it on my truck.

8. wva

wva Member

belt driven pump

I just put one on my '79 dodge I running it of the power steering pump with adpter I got with a milemarker winch the adpter are for the hose fittings on the punp & secter cost around $100
    You can get those adapters for ford also.
    The '79 dodge setup was run off that style powersteering pump.
    or you run it off elec over hyd pump. hope this helps a little.

9. chris_121756

chris_121756 Junior Member

Hi I'm new here too and just picked up an old F150 with a 4.9 6cyl and the same plow setup. If you go to the Fisher website, they have specs for your vehicle/plow and exactly what you need and have to do. It's just as everyone has been saying add a pulley on the crankshaft etc. Fisher has kits for this. Below is the link for my truck:

http://library.fisherplows.com/?cat=103

My question is where would I get the right size v belt without buying a complete kit? A lot of the autopart places don't want to play the game of looking for a belt that is 47" long.

10. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

I just go to the local hardware store and buy the belts for a lawnmower.

11. peterng

peterng Senior Member

ya there should be an empty pulley in alongside the block.

12. chris_121756

chris_121756 Junior Member

Thanks I'll check the hardware store tomorrow!

13. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

Plow Pump

Hank,
    I run my MM1 off my power steering pump on my 98 K1500. The stock power steering pump is very powerful and easy to adapt. I have been running this set-up for 2 seasons trouble free. All I did was buy a new pressure-side hose from NAPA (pump to power steering box), cut it in two, and have NAPA swedge on a 1/4"-male / female quick connect. Then just buy another male / female quick connect and install on the hoses on each side of your plow-valve. It works like a dream. I posted photo's on this site last year.
    UpstateNYer