1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Meyer plow and ATF

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by muncybob, Dec 21, 2005.

1. muncybob

muncybob Junior Member
    from Pa

I've been told by some people that you should only use Meyer hydraulic fluid in their pumps....others have told me that you can use automatic trans fluid. In thinking about this I don't see why you couldn't use ATF and perhaps this will help to reduce water in the fluid?? ,,,,any thoughts on this? I looked for a thread elsewhere but didn;t see one(and I'm guessing this has been brought up before now???)......................
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I use only winter hydraulic plow fluid. I don't buy the Meyer stuff. I get mine from Angelos. Never had a problem with it. The next question is, why is there water in the system? I would if there is, fix the problem then use the correct fluid.
  3. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

I only use atf in mine. I put a little rubbing alchol in it just to be safe. But after this summer that won't happen. I am gonna do a full rebuild of the pump and motor and then it will get only genuine meyer fluid. I have never had a problem with the atf. Except when I first got it because it had water in it, it had froze and wouldn't work but I flushed it and refilled with fresh atf and now it works great.
  4. muncybob

muncybob Junior Member
    from Pa

I'm not sure why water was in the pump when I drained it in October...several years ago I had to have the pump rebuilt and something replaced that had cracked...back then I did not know enough to change the fluid every year and was told that water will accumulate through the summer(condensation?) and that's what caused my failure then. I do drain the pump and replace fluid each year now...but I have never "pushed" the cylinders...maybe that's what my problem is now.........when it's real cold(teens or lower) plow is sluggish and may not work at all...when it warms up a bit everything is fine. I'm guessing ice problem?? Was told replacing with ATF I can avoid this in the future??
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ATF is thicker, and more temp. sensitive. It is also not as "clean a fluid." this will result in Slower operating speeds, high amp draw and shorter component life.
    The aftermarket "blue" hyd. fluids do not seem to work as well as the more expensive OEM fluids. OEM fluids have better cold weather performance and help stop internal corrosion. Annually draining the entire system, including angle rams and hoses. using Hydra flush as directed on the bottle, and refilling with OEM fluids is on of the best things you can do for your plow.