1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Meyer help?!?!?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 2007Western1, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 2007Western1

2007Western1 Junior Member

I am posting this thread for my uncle, with no serial numbers or a model I will try and be as specific as possible. The plow is possibly a late 70's model Meyer mounted to a 1976 Chevy truck. The truck has dual batteries and new 63 amp alternator but is continually draining the batteries, our local Meyer dealer has told him that the Isolator is not necessary with his application. Is this true? What other possibilities could be draining the batteries down in a matter of hours? The truck runs fine and maintains voltage when the plow is not in use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

Make sure the up and down switch is not left in float . If it is wired stright to the battery it is hot all the time and when u leave it in the float it will drain the battery

3. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

w4hyi is correct i had similar problems with my old 1982 chevy k30 once i realized that but just in case is this happening while you are plowing?? or just after sitting for a day or so???

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

drain

also i don't think your alternator is big enough to keep the battery's charged up if they are in good shape .the old 3" Meyer motor can draw a lot of amps ! if the charging system is not up to snuff capacity wise it's like pouring a quart of water in a 12" jar ,always hungry and cant get filled up .check all your cable's and up size them if you can .:waving:

5. lazypine

lazypine Member

HI, I ran into this same problem years ago.....figured out that upon exiting the truck my knee would sometimes bump the lift lower toggle into the lower position. I fixed the problem by placing a continuous duty solenoid in the line switched that was only energized with when the ignition switch was "on" . No more dead batteries. hope this helps. Neal

6. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

Very simple fix just wire to fuse that is hot only when ignition is on

7. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Or a switch to power the controls on and off that lights when on so you can visualy see if power is off. What I did in my 69 Ford.