1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Meyer Full Hydraulic made FASTER

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GripTruk, Jan 26, 2004.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Well, I spent about 12 hours today swapping pulleys and such. I got a pulley we had laying around with two grooves the same size, about 5 1/2 inch diameter. The old pulley on the power steering pump was about the same diameter, but the one that drove the plow pump was smaller, about 3 inches, on the front. I replaced the power steering pulley with the new one, and put the old power steering pulley on the hydraulic pump. So, instead of a 3 going to a 5 1/2, it is now a 5 1/2 going to a 3. It is A LOT faster, like, it went from, barely moving to pretty fast. I really have no way of telling what shape the pump is in, but it's working as of now... If I can find out what kind of pump it is, I'll get a spare.

The only issue, (Besides the hours spend modifying the brackets to accomodate the differences in offset of the pulleys) is that when I angle left it goes really quick, but when I angle right, it feels like it's fighting something.
    I'm going to have to look at it, but if anyone has a guess, I'd love to hear. There was no difference in left to right before, although I did just replace one of the angle lines because it had frayed.

-Jer

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Any guesses on my problem anyone?
    I don't really get it unless one of my angle cylinders coincidentally went out at the same time. It really feels like it is fighting when I angle right, and, I haven't been able to confirm this yet, but I think it might be shooting some fluid out when this happens as well.
    I have to check when I have someone around to help me.

-Jer

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Well, I guess no one really cares... but if they do....
    Silly me, the new line was just air bound, a bunch of times left and right and it was back to normal.
    Now, if I can just find a replacement pump in case this one fails.........

-Jer

4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Just remember your pump was turning at 54% of your crankshaft speed. Now its turning almost twice the speed (183%). At hwy speeds, if your running at 2500 rpm, than your pump is turning at 4600 rpm. Imagine gunning it to pass somebody. My suggestion is to go back to the old set up before the pump seizes.

Of course if this is just a lot truck and doesn't see road use, I would keep it as it is. Just remember that the pump is spinning much faster than it was designed for. Definately keep a spare pump and belt handy.

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Yeah, well... I think it might be too late for THIS pump, it is quickly losing power and making bad noises. It can barely lift the plow right now.
    I'm pretty sure it was on the way out already anyway.

Does anybody know what this pump is?
    I need to get a replacement, and I'm sure they're out there, but If I bring this thing to the auto parts store they'll just give me that blank stare and say "what year? what kind of car? air conditioning?"
    You know how it works.

6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

dodge snow commander pump

Isn't that an old Dodge Snow Commander pump? Was it a .94 power steering pump? Look for an old dodge service manual... Look under accessories. You will find the total system in there. 72-80 would be my guess. Parker Hanifan in Cleveland made the control valve with the pressure relief. If you want the system to go faster put on a larger displacement power steering pump with larger hoses. Also increase the size of the tapings in the cyl. But remember bang bang hydraulics can tear your stuff apart.

Do you have cavatation in the pump? The inlet velocity can only be so much. If you turn the pump faster the fluid will not be able to enter the pump fast enough. Then cavatation will happen. Cavatation is not good in hyd system.

Dave

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Re: dodge snow commander pump

Thanks, Dave
    You are correct about the Parker Hanifan Valve, and the cavitation is an interesting idea indeed, never considered it. Any idea on a source for these pumps, or what the flow/ pressure needed is if I find something comparable?

--Jer

8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

dodge snow commander

Look in a dodge service manual. we are in snow and ice events now and I dont hve time to look it up.. how ever drop me a line at Skykinghd@aol.com after the winter settled down and I will look it up. There are many after market hyd pumps that are belt drive out there.. not just the old Dodge ones. I would look for one that is a little larger in gpm than the dodge one if you want more flow.

I think the old pressures were 1250 + - 50 psi.

I have several old manuals with the info in it.. how ever.. we are in a week of snow and ice events.. have not had time to think much less look at a book..

Dave

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like when you angle it fluid isnt being released from the cylinder thats being collapsed. So the pressure is building up, until it finally gets released. hope this helps.:D :D

10. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

04superduty.... thanks, there was air in the lines, and once it bled out it was fine.

SkykingHD.... Thanks, let me know if you find anything, I'm going to try taking it to a local hydraulic place tomorrow to see if they can get me something comparable.
    I am going to post a new topic asking if anyone else knows where to get these things.

-Jer