1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old manual valve body

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by wirenut, Jan 21, 2010.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

anyone know how to adjust the drop speed for the under hood valve bodies

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about under the hood but ease the controller down
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

If it is too fast, then you just have to ease it. If it is too slow, you may have to adjust the clevis on the valve body where the cable hooks to it. I believe you need ti make it push the valve in more to make it go down faster, but it has been years since I have owned one.
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You want the joystick to self center. Do this by adjusting the clevis jamb nuts at the end of the cables where they attach to the valvebody. If you adjust the valves to change drop speed you will just burn the pump up.

Some valve bodies had quills in the return line where it attaches to the valvebody. I have seen others where they were installed by the pump. Basically it was a restriction. I have seen it sometimes on larger plows. Remove it and it should drop faster. If it does not have one or if it does not help then check the lift cylinder. If the packing nut is too tight if will drop slow.

Check this by unhooking plow chain, then raise the lift arm up. Shut off engine, disconnect lift hose from cylinder. If you can push the cylinder down by hand (fluid will come spraying out) it is ok. In general you should be able to push cylinder down by hand with the plow unhooked so that is a good test. A plow weighs a lot more so it will come down faster but on a correctly set up system there was no real additional adjustment for drop speed.