1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old gmc dump

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jacob land and, Feb 8, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

looking at old gmc 1500 custom deluxe 30. dump body, almost 450k guys asking 3500, what do you think resonable offer is?
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

450 thousand miles id run
  3. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

im looking for a cheap dump that i might be able to hang a plow from though... do you think i could get away with $500 or will it be a pit. im not sure if its a deisel i would think so but its a 3 speed manual with little to no rust, almost brand new paint. dump is in good shape, no holes. what would you do?
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would run from 450,000 miles if he is still wanting $3500.00 for the truck! If you are looking to buy a dump truck for $500.00 I wish you luck! They are worth more then that non running to a salvage yard if the hoist and box works on them. Anything you could buy for $500.00 would be junk at best if it even runs at all
  5. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

so do you think try him at 1000-1500? or dont even bother
  6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I think you need to get real. 1500 for a dump truck. Save some $$$ or borrow some money. For what you want to spend alls you'll get is a truck that belongs in the dump.
  7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I'd stay away from it--Sounds like it doesn't have a blade on it ---so additional cost--Then you would possibly be working it harder--With 450K damn thats alot of miles!--Are you planning on this as just a backup piece? If it's you sole plow / salter No way! It's going to break down eventually then your screwed and you've pissed your clients off! You would be putting good money--into a load! JMO!--No one asked what year?
  8. exmark1

I would not even bother! You need to use some logical thought you get what you pay for...If you want to pay nothing you will in return get nothing! It's that simple!
  9. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

i was going to see if he was up for a trade, i have a 1yr old 5x8 open trailer with a ramp i could use. not a very fair trade but maybe hes a screwball...
  10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

450,000 miles....even on a diesel 1 ton dump? Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy:
  11. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

You are just joking....tell us you are just joking.....
  12. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

why would i be joking, i cant afford to go out and spend 41k on a new plow truck, and i come from a family that knows cars and engines fairly well...
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  13. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

You don't need to spend 40k to get a good truck. But you do need to spend more than 3,000. Also not to be a smart ass but if you and your family know cars and engines so well why you asking us?
  14. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

why is everyone on plowsite a dick but everyone on lawnsite so nice?
  15. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

what size are you looking for?

you should look into a one ton with a dump box it would be small enough to start with.that might be what you should look out for u mentioned lawnsite so if your a landscaper that would be rite up your alley

if u want a 3 ton or larger u'll need more money u'll mostly find older chevy c series singe axles or maybe an older ford i'm not shure about the prices in your area,also larger the truck the higer the fuel,insurance and part costs

keep an ear open to private sales or even local auctions, there are deals to be made there i just guess you gotta find out what you need then go from there

i wish you luck
  16. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

thanks now i feel bad your actually trying to help me out, everyone else thinks its a joke
  17. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey....don't take it too personally. This is what happens when it doesn't snow much over the course of the season. People get all bent out of shape.:jester:

Anyways, I'm no expert, but I personally would not even waste my time looking at it, unless you were going to buy it for parts or something.

Snowplowing is an investment sport. Unless you're willing to drop some coin, don't plan on being around in the next few seasons.

If you look like a hillbilly driving a beat up truck with a plow, you will lose. Then again, if you drop $45k on a new truck and plow and DON'T have a profitable season, you will lose.

The trick is to find a balance. Look for something newer that doesn't have half a million miles on it. You'll have to drop some money, but you'll make it back sooner than you think.

As long as it snows....eventually....someday.....soon :gunsfiring:
  18. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I guess telling you you want to spend too little is being a jerk. Or maybe because I said if you and your family are so car/engine savvy why ask us. If you wan't to buy a junker go for it. But if you want are opinion take it for what it is. Don't turn around and whine because we tell you something you don't want to hear.
  19. exmark1

Well said! Were not dick's were just being bluntly honest with opinions, just because we don't wan't to sugar coat the truth and tell you it would be a great etc... or whatever you want to hear does not make us dicks!

Just my .02
  20. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i'm not sure what you're considering old. but i'm assuming at least the 80's. my experience with buying vehicles from this era is this. you always need to put money in them after you buy them to make them reliable. if you are mechanically inclined, this is no problem. however if you are low on cash, which one must assume if you are trying to find a truck so cheap, your situation will only get worse because you will be dumping at least 2500-3000 in this truck to make it a reliable vehicle to base your business around. instead, save yourself the labor and the hassle of trying to save money by cutting corners you will kick yourself for later, and spend 8-10,000 on a more recent truck that might not need so many updates, and can make you some money before you have to go putting a bunch back into it. just my $.02, take it for what its worth.