1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old gas?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dakotasrock, Jul 28, 2007.

1. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

Hey guys.
    I've had my dakota parked since the start of June to gas save money. before I did I put stable in the gas (bottle treats 20 gallons, I have a 22 gallon tank), filled the tank so no water could condinsate. Today I went to start her up and run her, first off the battery was dead (should have taken it out), I jumped it, and she had a hard time starting. Once I did, she ran really rough and would NOT idle. I had to keep a foot on the pedal.

The first thing that came to mind was old gas, but its not THAT old, and its got stable in it. But im not sure.

Would it be bad if I put a can of seafoam in with the stable?

Any input would be appreicated guys. And FYI, its the 318.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can you take it out and stomp on it for a while and get it nice and hot.There could be a little water in the fuel line from condensation.

3. dakotasrock

from MN

ya i dont have it insured right now, so not really. But i had it running for prob 5-10 min around 2500 rpms.... didnt help.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Sure, I would put some seafoam and maybe a container of gas line deicer in and run it for a bit daily for a few days and see if it will clear up. Shake or rock the truck back and forth to mix up the contents of the tank. It may have to soak some but it should clean out and run right. I am going by how seafoam has helped me clean up stored motorcycles with carbs. I imagine your are dealing with injection?

5. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

That is not that long, I am thinking it is NOT gas related (well in terms of the gas going bad anyway).

Zack

6. dakotasrock

from MN

yea it was a bad connection with the battery... so the alternator couldnt keep up when it was just idling.

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You know, when I answered this I had overlooked that it was just since June. I think I figured it was longer. Glad you got it fixed.