1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Fisher Setup Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Spinman710, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Hey Guys,

I have an old Fisher cable setup, electric/hydraulic pump mounted on the inner fender of my '84 Chevy, going into a Fisher valve that's frozen. I've sprayed it with PB Blaster with no luck. last year I noticed the blade dropping a little going from job to job, so I knew it needed to be rebuilt. I was told that it can't be rebuilt as Fisher doesn't have parts for it anymore. I've also been told that it's only just a bunch of o-rings and is an easy rebuild.

My question is, should I spend the time to refurbish an old system (rods can't be replaced if they're scored), or should I go with a plow frame mounted pump/valve setup and redo the electrical to have a fishstick over the cable setup?

Any help or opinions would be greatfully appreciated.

Steve

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Might want to take it apart just to see what it really needs, might must need a good cleaning and new set of o-rings which you could find at a hyd. repair shop.

Other option is to go with a Monarch style pump under the hood. Would mount in the same location as valve body, use the same hoses and would only need to run battery cables to the unit. Heck of alot cheaper also than converting to a Fisher SHEP unit.

3. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Thanks Crash, I'll look into pricing of a Monarch over rebuilding the old valve once I take it apart...If the rods are scored due to rust, I've narrowed down my options considerably!!

4. Mustang1970

Mustang1970 Junior Member
    from Maine

seeing that your from Mass, up here in Maine there is a junk yard (Brown's in Gardiner ME) that sells used Fisher plows. if you didn't want to change the whole setup, check with him about the valve.

5. Spinman710

Spinman710 Member

Yesterday I went to RPM Enterprises in Thompson, CT. (junkyard). I was looking for side tank brackets for my '84 K20 (found a brand-new pair on a truck for $40).

As I was walking around looking for the brackets, I came across a mid 90's full-size blazer. I would have just passed on it as it has nothing that I need, but a rather large sized womens support garment was on the ground in front of it. So I looked inside...It appears that this woman was in an unfortunate accident, and the truck had 249k on the ticker, so it was totalled. Not much damage, so I can only assume she walked away, leaving a rather sizeable amount of clothing in the vehicle from unmentionables to sweaters.

As I was looking at the odo, I noticed a Fisher cable control that was smashed (handle was broken off, probably by her knee), so I look in the engine compartment and what do you know...the same valve I have, in MUCH better condition. So I cut it all out and it was included in the $40 for the brackets.

Brought it home, cleaned off what little grime it had and installed it...haven't tested it yet, but its smooth as silk and springs back to center. I'll do a test on it tomorrow...

6. Mustang1970

Mustang1970 Junior Member
    from Maine

good score. thought a junkyard would have something