1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Fire Truck as a plow truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 77gmcserria, Feb 9, 2008.

1. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

I was woundering if anyone has used an old fire truck to plow with? And also if anyone has used a Ford C8000, if so what kind of mount for the plow did you use since the cab tilts forward to acess the motor?

2. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

There was one of the old fords on Ebay not too long ago.

3. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Yes I have seen alot of those on ebay. I just wanted to see other peoples experances with them. I know that you can get fire trucks at a low price and low miles in decent condition. And if anyone has any pics that would be great too.

4. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

The downside I see about fire trucks is that they sit for periods of time, then when they are ran they are ran hard, then shut off without much cool down time. Also if you look at a fire truck check out the engine hours also, they sit and idle alot. Also the pumps on the trucks are controlled by a PTO, so when the trucks are pumping water the engines are ran at higher RPMs for the pump.

5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

one of my dads friends used one as a form truck for the longest time. but idk if he plowed with it

6. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Isn't it kind of hard to find two plow operators that work well together for the steering wheels in front and back? (bad joke but funny visual)

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Nice!! Actually, the guy in the tiller will run the back blade!

8. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Has anyone used a Ford C-8000 Cab Over series truck as a plow truck? Since the cab tilts forward what type of plow mount can be used?

9. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

The truck is actually a Ford C-850 Super Duty.

10. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Guy in my neighborhood had a MMII. I've seen his cab open and the plow is just taken off.

11. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

That was my thought as well but they don't make a mount for the Ford C-850, so it would have to be a custom install.