1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Faithful...1987 Blazer K5

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Rondo, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Rondo

Rondo Member
    from 54166

Hello to all the serious plow Dudes here at Plowsite! I am amazed at some of the really tuff trucks posted here! Talk about heavy duty!! I guess you need all the toys and the good stuff for places that get huge storms every winter.
    I live in central Wisconsin and for some reason we seem to get less snow every year??!! Average 45-75" / year.
    I have an old '87 Blazer that I call my "toy". I have owned it for 6 years. It did NOT have a plow on it when I bought it. It was a highway truck that belong to the city of Houston,TX. It ended up bought at an auction and I found it at a dealer near here. It was in pretty bad shape but was in good mechanical condition. It had only 61K miles. But, a few dents, serious faded paint, broken windshield, etc. Most important.....ZERO rust!!!:redbounce Unheard of in this area!
    Anyway...I had an old Western plow I just finished restoring and I needed a solid truck! Perfect match!
    Six years later, It now has a Pro-Comp 4" lift, duel Delco battiers, Goodyear 33x12.50x15 tires on American steel wheels, [It has 1-1/2" spacers in the back to make the rear axle track straight behind the front] CB radio for the trail rides in the summer, 3" cat back exhaust, trans cooler in the grille, [grille painted black], and a front pillar spot light. The truck came with 31 gal fuel tank w/skid plate, dark rear glass, and A/C that works great!
    The plow is an old Western I bought locally. Very rusted and needed everything. I sand blasted all the metal parts and sent the pump to a good Western rebuilder, They had to replace the lift ram and seals but other than that it was in good shape. The frame however wasn't! Lots of heated, bending, and welding to get it right, New paint, new cutter, new angle rams, a new chain, and just this week....new shocks (two) There is more but I just can't remember. I made a custom grille guard and I split and shortend the front bumper. The head lights are a "stand alone" Trucklite set.
    It had that "DNR" look and I liked it. So, I tryed to keep that style!
    So......here is a picture. More in the next post.
    Let me know what you think.:nod:

2. Rondo

Rondo Member
    from 54166

A few more pix

Here are a few more pictures. Got to love those old straight axles!

3. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Junior Member

She's a beaut...a true classic:salute: I like that 'DNR' look myself.
  4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Sweet ride you have there. I plow with a 90 K5 and i'll tell you it really is the best truck i have plowed with, i used a 90 F250, 88 2500,and a 1500, in all the blazer wins hands down, great turning radius also..oh and the duel shocks in the front ...:waving:
  5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you find it difficult to shift and raise/lower the plow with the controller so low and on your right????

6. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Great lookin truck. I'd love to have that bad boy!
  7. Rondo

Rondo Member
    from 54166

Plow controls

Hey Big Dog,
    The control stick location works really well for me. I spent a lot of time to get it "just right"! It feels like a 4 speed shifter. I've seen some of these mounted under the dash put I thought it was in the way of my leg and I just didn't what to put any more holes in the dash. Having it on the floor tunnel was an easy way to run the cables. More of a straight shot to the firewall. [less bending] However I did have to angle the base about 30 degrees to get the tilt. And best of all,.... it was a great place to mount my old Sun tach.
    Thanks for the comments!!! :drinkup:

8. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I'm jealous, I love those k5 blazers, heavy duty as hell. Brings back the memories of my dad's old k5 with black rockcrawler wheels and larger tires. Looks mean, and that heavy duty front end looks like its laughing at the plow.
  9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Nice truck... I want to get an old blazer like that someday... I have always loved them trucks, may dad hat an 81 with a fisher plow that I wish he never god rid of, but I was too young to buy it and had other things I spent my money on when he sold it. Anyway Great restore job truck looks almost too good to plow with.
  10. Rondo

Rondo Member
    from 54166

Thanks for looking!

Thanks to all for looking. This is still a work in progress.
    What I didn't tell you is the stock 10 bolt axles are geared at 3.08:1 with open diffs.
    They have worked out OK so far but I don't tow much and it barely stays in overdrive on the highway. GOT to keep the 33's so I have bought an old '79 3/4 ton and pulled the beefier Dana 44 frt/ GM 14 bolt rear axles. Gears are 4.10:1. To date,they have been sand blasted, repainted, and inspected Next I need to put on new brakes and I want to add a locker to at least the rear. HHmmm....maybe I'll take lots of pix and post it here as I go!
    I've seen lots of Blazers with this swap and I think [hope]I can handle it.?!:confused:
    Then the only thing I need to do is pull the useless AM radio and install some decent tunes!!!:nod:
    Thanks again

Trail Ride 1.JPG

Trail ride.jpg
  11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

That thing is awesome, you resurrected it, nice job. :salute:
  12. Rondo

Rondo Member
    from 54166

Straight Axles Rule!

My moto is: "GOTTA PUSH IT" Rondo :cool:

Gotta Push It 2.JPG