1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old engine driven plow adjustment

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by howlinghuskie, Dec 23, 2014.

1. howlinghuskie

howlinghuskie Junior Member

I've got an old western plow with an engine driven pump. It's on a 78 gmc based on the build sheet for the truck I'm guessing the plow was added shortly after being ordered. Any way the plow works great aside from the fact that in order to get the plow to raise I have to slam the joy stick back. And the plow sometimes raises fast sometimes it raises slow sometimes it won't raise at all. Is there any way to adjust the raise valve like there was on my old isamark plow?

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

im thinking it's the joystick. I ran this on an old 78 gmc, we used toggle switches instead of joysticks.
    It didn't often have different speeds cause the pulley on the pump was constantly turning, speed didn't affect it, it either pumps or doesn't.
    Having to slam the joystick down is probably a hint that the joystick connections are bad or out of adjustment.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cable could be stretched. As for speed pump works with the truck rpm's rev it and it will go up and sideways faster.

4. howlinghuskie

I don't really see how i can run toggle switches as there is no electrical at all and the part that confuses me is it lifted great all the time when I got it two weeks ago and the speed of lifting doesn't always matter what the engine speed was I know. On my old isamark plow that was doing the Same thing I turned the lift valve in a 1/4 turn and it worked great It looks like there's a spot I can do that on this one too but I didn't want to try and end up wrecking something. Is it still possible to get the cables or to adjust them?

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

6. howlinghuskie

It says it is unavailable and the one I have I believe is older than anything they have on there site

7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Oops Did you check the valve under the hood.You can adjust the cables there.Check and see if the valves are centered. Have someone move the joystick and look to see whats going on.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ he doesn't have a joystick.
    he has two rods that come threw the firewall.
    they go directly to the valves.

take a look at the linkage,
    then the bypass valve,
    on my old meyer set up that was the weak spot.
    I had to machine a new part/block for the bypass valve because of cracking.

when was the last time you drained the fluid and cleaned it up? gunk can cause problems too?

9. howlinghuskie

I just got it like two weeks and it has a t handle with cables no rods

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ok a "modern" set up lol.

then its back to the cables, they will fray, stretch and need attention/adjusting from time to time,or need to be replaced and how is the linkage at the valve?

if it's"new" to you servicing it could be a good idea. and it will get you familiar with the set up.

11. howlinghuskie

Any idea how they get adjusted and I will check the travelof the valve when I get home it looks like tthere is a Allen head fitting in the side of the valve if all else seems right will this adjust the lift valve like it did on my old isaramic plow?

12. howlinghuskie

The control seems to be centered. How ever when I havse someone move the controls in the cab the raise the position seems to stop an 1/8 to 1/4 inch earlier than it does when dropped. I can move the valve the rest of the way by hand after it stops. I'm thinking it's either my adjustment or the cables(solid wire) is stretched. The slotted adjustment bracket seems to be pulled all the way away from the valve already.

13. howlinghuskie

I got the controls out every thing looks good other than the all on the end of the wire has play