1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old e47 valve solenoid grounding

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by h20ham, Jan 1, 2015.

1. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

Hello
    My c valve quit, I can' t find a ground from it.
    There is a plastic/rubber spacer by the wire, under the valve solenoid and not the remainder of the solenoid housing. Looks like debris, not a gasket or "o" ring.
    Thanks all
    And a Happy New Year :bday:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not sure what you are trying to say. But Meyer coils ground through the bolt on top of the valve. Valves are grounded by the ground wire bolted to the housing.

3. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

ok
    thanks
    yes, I am wondering how they ground.
    so it sounds like through the bolt then the body of the solenoid
    or is it down the valve and out that way?
    I found loads of gunge/debris around the base of the solenoid. There is a plastic rubber piece below the wire and I presume because it is insulated with this rubber plastic that the body of the valve solenoid is the ground but I would like to make sure please
    thanks

4. kimber750

The rubber at the wire is to isolate the positive from the metal outer case which is the ground. Coil grounds through top bolt, through the valve, through the pa block, to the ground wire bolted to the pump.

You said you think your c valve quit, guessing no right? Have you tried to take the coil off the C valve. A lot of time the c valve swells and a stuck coil is a tell tale sign that the valve needs replaced.

5. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

thanks
    yea, got the valve off, the base was thick with oil saturated debris.
    don't think any signal could get through that, since that is the intended purpose of the base of the valve solenoid. I will try replacing the valve solenoid in a few minutes and get back to you
    thanks

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It don't matter if the base was full of junk. The threads internally are what makes the gnd connection throughout the valve to the top and then the coil touches that and voila, contact

7. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

guess i need a new valve or crossover

have removed quick connect so the pump should spit fluid out the elbow unless crossover or valve is bad. dang

8. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

i've got power to the connection on green wire
    maybe I will try fused direct from the battery

9. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

How do I test my crossover relief valve

10. kimber750

What is the pump doing or not doing? You seem to be making this way more complicated than it really is.

If you have power to the green wire no need to jump power to it. Do you have magnetism to c coil? If so the valve is most likely garbage. No reason to go tearing crossover apart just yet. Bad crossover most of the time will result in no angle right or left. Bad C valve will be no right. Bad couplers are most common of no left or right.

11. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

I bench tested the valve/solenoid
    Maybe a bad connection, but i have power...

12. h20ham

h20ham Junior Member
    from home

took the acorn nut off, light tap on nut head
    that help maybe, anyway working now
    snowing out
    thanks plowsite folk
    kind regards
    james