1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old E47 pump, lifts plow, wont drop

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by MinnSnowBanker, Nov 18, 2010.

1. MinnSnowBanker

MinnSnowBanker Junior Member

I just hooked up an older E47 system on my truck and went to test it and it lifts the plow fine but wont drop. This is the 3 toggle switch board with wires, not cables.

one for lights, one for side to side and one for up / down.

Input, ideas, suggestions?

2. MinnSnowBanker

I should mention that the wiring harness is not an exact match for this pump. The wire colors coming off the pump dont match even close the ones on the toggle switch harness.

The wiring harness has red, green and black. I assumed and hooked black to black, whether its incorrect or not I dont know but the pump works one direction so you would think it would work the other.

The wires on the pump are blue, black and white.

I suspect the wiring harness is for an earlier or later pump, anyone know which is newer, the pump or the wiring harness, and then, what wires are what?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wire colors never changed, they were always red, green and black. Good chance the ones on the pump are simply weather and changed color, see many of the old ones like that.

Your blue was probably green, the white was probably red as those are the colors they seem to turn to. If you still not sure, the green wire goes on the coil closest to your angle ports (C coil), red goes on the other large coil right beside that one (B coil) and the black goes to the small coil on the rear (A coil).

And the A coil is your drop coil, the one that allows the plow to lower. Check that coil for magnetism with the toggle in the float position, does it have mag? If not then you have a wiring issue between it and the toggles, easy enough to back track with a test light to find the problem and you can also apply direct 12V to the coil with a jumper to see if the plow lowers. Just watch your toes when you do.

If it does have magnetism when you check it but still doesn't lower then the valve itself is likely stuck.You can remove it from the pump and either simply replace it or stroke it's internal spool to see if you can free up for reuse.

4. MinnSnowBanker

Well, without any actions on my part, the plow lowered itself overnight.

And when I filled the pump with fluid and went to raise it, now it wont raise. This thing has some quirks in it. It makes all the right noises like its raising but wont budge, ie: the pump hydraulic arm doesnt raise.

5. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

sounds like you need new coils and some seal repair...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are the toggles wired hot at all times? Did you by change leave it in the float position overnight?

7. MinnSnowBanker

Toggles are hot, yes.

and I think it was in float overnight.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Replace the A valve and it's coil and get the toggle power over to an ignition only source. Likely it still could use a complete freshening to be more reliable but those should at least make it function.

9. MinnSnowBanker

I ordered the set of 3 coils off eBay for $45 plus ship cost and will get on it. Thanks for the input!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just coils? You need the A valve at the very least as well.

11. MinnSnowBanker

I ordered the coils and valve, still haven't got the coils but did put the new valve in. Now it raises and stays up just fine but wont lower. I did try applying 12 v directly to the A coil wire and nothing happened.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't get too excited until you have the new coil on there but did you at least check the old one for magnetism after the valve swap like I mentioned? You want to be sure you have power there from the controls when in float.

13. MinnSnowBanker

I finally got the parts and put them in pronto, and also got a new switch, just in case. new A12 coil and new A valve.

nothing. Still goes up and wont go down. No noise at all when trying to lower it. short in a wire maybe?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you do a magnetism test like I described? New parts won't fix it if there's no power on the black wire for the A coil when it's in float. And if they're isn't, then there's a poor connection or break in the black wire somewhere between the switch and the coil.

There won't be any "noise" when the lower/float function is used, the motor doesn't run in lower/float because it's a gravity drop system.

15. MinnSnowBanker

I tested it but am going to route a new wire in case its a short, as I mentioned in my post. I am suspecting that at this point.

Thank you for your info and tips, it helped a lot!

16. MinnSnowBanker

Ok. Heres a curveball.

I ran a new wire from the A coil to the switch. No matter which contact I make on the switch, the plow doesnt drop. I know it has to be a black wire on the switch, is there a diagram anywhere that shows which wire is which on the switch? (say that fast 10x!!)

thx

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Run a jumper directly from the battery to the A coil wire and see if it drops. Keep your feet clear.

18. MinnSnowBanker

nothing.

there is a spark but no action of any kind. I tried it with 3 different jumper wires to make sure that it wasnt one of them that was bad. same thing, all 3.

Heres the rehash.

New A coil.
    New A valve
    New raise / lower switch
    New wire from black A coil to switch.

Raises fine. Will NOT drop.

now, seeing as it doesnt drop when I add a positive jumper wire and route it to the black wire on A coil....now what?

Is there such a thing as not getting the A valve threaded all the way in? If so, it seems like it wouldnt raise as good as it does, and wouldnt affect the drop.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Again, does the coil have mag when you apply power to it? Hot wired and still nothing either the valve is stuck or the coil is bad. Just because it's new doesn't mean it good, especially if you're using aftermarket parts. Doesn't take much to twist and jamb up the A valve when installing it either.

20. MinnSnowBanker

Tell me exactly how you test for Mag, maybe I am doing it wrong. that could explain a lot.