1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

old e 46 pouring fluid out of the motor base

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by kcjeepcreep, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kcjeepcreep

kcjeepcreep Junior Member

Hello all Im a nube at only one year under my belt and i searched but after getting my jeep and meyer e60 stolen at the end of the season i had to get something that would get me by. I got a used meyer e46 pump and 8.5 plow. i rebuilt the pump (master seal kit) as i had the e60. it seems to raise with a chatter and it also pumps the fluid out of the motor base. just wondering if anyone has had that problem and knows of any cause? Check valve maybe?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Pump seal.

3. kcjeepcreep

you mean the seal inbetween the pump and the motor base? or the motor shaft seal?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5. kcjeepcreep

just ordered the part and some more fluid. thank you basher

6. kcjeepcreep

hmm

put the new seal in and its still pouring fluid out like no other.. any ideas of what is pushing the seal out like that? :help: i don't have the plow hooked up right now is that why its doing that? i put the new seal in and tried to raise it after getting it all back together and putting a quart of 10 dollar fluid in it and thats what happened.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And thats exactly why on an old unit when they leak from the pump seal I don't recommend simply replacing the seal, ecause by that time the gear pump itself is usually worn out causing excess pressure to be forced by the seal.

Needs the gear pump replaced with new. :nod:

8. kcjeepcreep

hello b&b ive used some of your knowledge before and it worked from what i remember im going to take your word on this one and try that. just to be sure im not a fool and understanding wrong you are talking about the base of the motor with all new bushings/seals ect..correct?

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer part# 15889

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

15889 would be an E57 gear pump. Nothing wrong with updating to the faster pump but note you also have to update to the 4.5" motor as well. Which certainly isn't a bad idea if it needs a fresh motor soon too.

If your current motor is in good shape and you just want to stay with the E46/E47 pump, then you want p/n: 15026

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Here's what I'd do, stick it in a box and send it to Smith Brothers

13. kcjeepcreep

new parts

okay i bought the new e57 pump and the 15727 motor do the studs at the bottom of the motor come out and new bolts go in?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. Simply remove the three studs and you'll be prepped for the new pump/motor install. Be gentle with the O-rings and take your time and you should have no problems.

15. kcjeepcreep

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. on the bottom of the base its threaded for the bolts and their are studs on the bottom of the motor but there doesnt seem to be any other way to attach the motor to the pump unless you take the studs out

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're talking about on the motor itself correct?

17. kcjeepcreep

yes, there is no other place for the bolts to go from the bottom of the pump up to the motor so i am guessing they come out and new ones go in? or does the top of the motor come off and the attaching bolts are under the cap?

18. kcjeepcreep

19. kcjeepcreep

I got it took the cap off the top. thank you so much for the help