1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old E-46 has me mystified

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dferg, Mar 3, 2013.

1. dferg

dferg Junior Member

I have an old E-46 that suddenly stopped lowering. There is 12 volts to the A coil. The A-coil is magnetic when on but not hugely so. Not sure what sort of magnetic pull to expect with it. Got a new A Coil AND a new Valve. Installed both. Still won't go down. Disassembled the entire unit checked for blocked passages. Check ram shaft by rolling it on a machined flat surface and tried to spot daylight underneath, looks straight. Pulled the motor (new) and inspected the pump unit for blockages looked okay.
    All filters are clean and once I reassembled the unit same thing. Will raise plow but won't lower...
    I am going nuts... please help if you can.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Only things that hold the ram up are the valve and quill adjustment. If you havent messed with the quill I find it hard to believe that would be the issue. But if you have, this could be your issue. Will need to turn it out to allow the plow to drop. Does it drop when you remove the valve? You may have got a bad A valve. Remember to keep your toes clear of the plow.

3. dferg

dferg Junior Member

Thank-you so much

The valve is brand new as well as the accompanying coil. Guess I could have gotten a bad one though. It seems like the valve is not opening and the coil magnetic flux is not very large when I put the switch to lower not a sound happens out there.... I put a volt meter on the input to the coil and got 12 volts so that is not the problem. The manual says that it should be strongly magnetic, I wouldn't describe this one like that. What are the chances of getting a bad coil AND valve Jeez its driving me nuts... By quill do you mean the ram shaft? If not what is it? I haven't adjusted it. Tomorrow I plan to disassemble the unit and re-examine the new seals that I put in last summer. It plowed for 2 hours just fine since the seal replacements. Can't really test the new A valve unless I get another one. Yes it does drop if I remove the new valve.
    Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  4. kimber750

It has been almost a year since I touched a meyer pump and atleast 3 years since I rebuilt a E46 so please bear with me here. For the life of me I can't remember if the E46 has a quill adjustment or not. But if it is dropping if the valve is removed, most likely the passage way from the valve opening to the reservoir is blocked. Make sure your coil is grounded well thru the nut that holds it down. Until I can run down to the shop and look at an E46 again I can't say with accuracy if it does have a quill or not. Hopefully one of the Meyer guys can help out here.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I put a volt meter on the input to the coil and got 12 volts so that is not the problem.
    WOAH you need to be cking the pwr and gnd with a test light not a meter!!! go back and reck with a light

6. dferg

dferg Junior Member

Thanks for the brain work. I don't think it has a quill as I have the manual for it and there is no mention of it. What is it?
    Thanks

7. dferg

dferg Junior Member

Actually I tested the input to the coil with a test light first. It showed up just fine, don't trust these types of so went and got a meter and tested it again. Got the 12 volts and the test light is not supposed to light up below that. Thanks for the good thought though. Do you have any idea how much magnetism a properly working coil should produce?

8. dferg

dferg Junior Member

How do I make sure the coil is grounded through the mounting nut? Just stick the test light on the top? I was testing the black input wire to it.
    Thanks,

9. kimber750

Quill is an adjustment for the lowering speed of the lift ram. If this adjustment is turned in to far, if it has it, the plow will not drop.

I would say a mild amount of magnetism is all I every really see from the Meyer coils. It is best to test for magnetism at the bolt that holds the coil on.

Yes, attach your test light/voltmeter to the mounting bolt and test the black lead coming from the truck side. You can also test the A valve with small allen wrench by inserting it into the bottom of the valve and pressing. You should feel the inner piston move slightly in and spring right back. It only moves a very small amount.

10. dferg

dferg Junior Member

Okay will do, wonderful idea about the A valve I will try it.
    Thanks

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

E47 do not have a quill

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. kimber750

???? I am hoping you mean quill, Because E47 has 3 coils. E46 should only have one since there is no power angle.

13. dferg

dferg Junior Member

Thanks it is good to know about the quill. I haven't messed with the quill adjustment don't even know where it is. This is an E-46 no power-angle just up and down.
    Thanks for your time and effort on me.

14. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Try taking a hot wire direct from the battery to the A coil and see if it will drop.
    WATCH YOUR TOES!

15. dferg

dferg Junior Member

Okay good idea. Thanks this should rule out the valve right?

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. That will rule out pwr and controller issues

17. dferg

dferg Junior Member

Yup I am backwards.... thanks