1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Dodge fisher (?) plow pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rustcharger, Dec 12, 2005.

1. rustcharger

rustcharger Junior Member

hey guys, i'm new here, im hoping somebody will have an answer for me on this.
    i have this '87 dodge 3/4 ton truck i'm in the process of putting a new motor in, and i'm gonna plow with it (hopefully) soon. i think it was built by chrysler with a plow package on it. it has the high output alternator, dana 60 front axle, extra duty trans cooler, and the actual plow mount looks like it fits perfectly. i have no documentation stating this is a "sno commander" truck, but for some reason i think it had at least the plow prep package.

anyway, lets get to my real question. my plow is a belt driven pump style with a fluid reservoir on the fender and a spool valve next to that, with two push-pull rods going through the firewall. is this a fisher?
    is it possible to retrofit an electric pump on this system and throw out the belt pump? the reason i ask is i have no way to mount the pump after scrapping the dual smog pumps and their bracket. the bracket this pump was mounted on was some homeade pos that didnt line up anyway.
    and if i cant get a electric pump, is there a way to get a bracket that will fit??
    its a 360 engine with A/C, P/S, and high amp alternator
    thanks

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You can put an elctric/hydralic unit uner the hood on the fender liner, if you place it just right in the area of the existing valve unit you shouldnt even have to so anything with the hoses. There are several brands of pumps out hte, monarch, haladex, barnes, fenner just to name a few. You might want to check northern equipment, they carry a few of those brands.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

IT is a factory option Sno-commander I have a 74.
    It is a Meyers plow, yellow.
    I replaced my old system after years of constant work to the valve bobby it always leaked and blew out the by-pass too.
    so I scraped it for a more reliable western power unit with the ram. It will bolt right in just remove the lift ram.

4. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

The code AHF or AFH should be on the cab tag if it is a snow commander.
    Most also have the cab clearance lights.

I have the same Myers Hydraulic set up on my 86 1-ton what I did was make a brackets to tie the P/S and air (smog) pump together then hung the plow pump out side of them. Then to run the belt you have to get a 3 groove water pump pulley.

This is the same way both the military, state, and fleet trucks were outfitted from 84-88

5. rustcharger

yeah, thats how mine Was setup, except i had two smog pumps, and the plow pump was mounted on this rinky dink bracket above that, which never tightened up good, so the belt just sqeualed all the time.
    i'll look at my vin tag, but i dont have clearance lights up top so maybe its not plow prepped. i'm thinking that i could use some old p/s pump brackets and mount the plow pump with those

6. cpistel

cpistel Junior Member
    from SE MA

W250 pump mount

I have the same problem and am looking for suggestions. I was told the original fisher pump bracket was PN 5669. Do you have any idea where this would have been installed? Anyone have one they could part with?

Rustcharger, did you remove the smog pumps on your engine? Any ill effects from mileage, performance, emissions?

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If it's is s sno- commander it has a Meyers. aftermarket ity could be any thing

8. rustcharger

yeah, from what ive found out, its a meyers. not a fisher. but the fisher stuff is easier to get, since they have the parts list for everything on their website. i contacted meyers about this and they said i have to go to chrysler. the shop manual i have is from '81 and shows an electric pump made by meyers. i guess they switched at some point.
    the smog pumps werent hooked up to anything when i got the truck, the guy who had it stuck an edelbrock carb and intake on there which pretty much made all the emmisions stuff useless. all a smog pump soes is inject fresh air into the cat's during warmup. once youre at operating temp they do nothing.
    plus i plugged the smog ports at the bottom of the exhaust ports on the heads, so no air would get in there anyway

9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Should only be one smog pump 1 inch rubber hose to the cat 1 inch rubber hose to the back of the exhaust manifolds, 1 small vacuum line to the carb. All the hook up the smog pump has.

Pull the second smog pump and mount the plow pump in it place.

10. rustcharger

thats what i originally thought, but the bracket doesnt necessarily accept the plow pump. i did find an old p/s pump bracket in th egarage last nite that fits the pump perfectly, so once i ca get to it i'll try to make that work

11. MRTAZWRENCH

MRTAZWRENCH Junior Member

does anyone have any of thes pumps,info on how to rebuild them, or will a fisher belt driven pump work on one of these meyer plows, as i may have found a fisher pump, also has anyone ever used a power steering pump as a replacement?

12. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Dodge Belt Drive Pump

I have an old Dodge Sno Commander, I am parting out the whole plow setup. 1982 with 318 and auto, It is the most reliable setup there is, never battery or wiring trouble. This one has the plow pump mounted down on the driver side of the engine very low and the PS pump is mounted high in the middle of the engine on front. I would like to sell the whole setup if anyone is interested.
    Hyperpack

13. MRTAZWRENCH

I only need a pump, but may think about the whole thing. P.M. sent.

14. rustcharger

the pumps seem identical to a chrylser p/s pump, the muonting holes are even the same. the only doff. is the larger lfuid intake port, which goes to the reservoir. but the p/s pump on my truck has a remote reservoir to make room for the air pumps, so you could probably just order that p/s pump which has the large intake size

15. Rondo

Rondo Member
    from 54166

Upgrade to a Hydro/Electric

In 1975 I had a Chevy and I had a Meyers Hydro/Electric plow installed. All solenoid controll. I remember those belt drive ones. My buddy had one. Looked simple but too many hoes etc. Leaking all the time too.
    I think you should just trash all that belt and hose crap. Find an old Meyers [or Western] electric control model. Just a little wiring and your good to go!:nod:

16. MRTAZWRENCH

i looked at an 84 dodge pump, and the housing behind the pulley sticks out more than the one on the plow pump. the back/ res. will come off, if i go power steering pump i'll use another one like i already have on my truck, and i should be able to get the belts lined up. this is a dodge plow, but has been run on full size jeeps for the last 15 years or so. even though it was not lifting i could angle it, so i made one pass with it on a long driveway, quit working completely, now the outlet nipple on the re. pulled out.

17. rustcharger

i mounted the pump tonight, looks almost like a factory deal!! all i used was a set of brackets from a p/s pump i found in the shed. i think it was from an old BIG Block dodge, but it fit the pump just right and all i had to do was drill a hole in one bracket and make up some spacers, and it all lined up nice. the only thing i'm thinking of is maybe i should switch the plow pump with the p/s so the plow pump can sit lower. i dont know if its low enough right now to be properly fed with hydraulic oil. maybe i can just set the tank a bit higher.
    and as far as the reliability of the system, i think i'll take the advice of you guys who mentioned the POS charging systems on dodge trucks which may cause an issue with an electric plow. plus i've heard the full hydraulic setup moves faster. i dont really care about the messiness of the lines and all, since this truck is just an old beater anyway

18. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

snow commander

I had a few of them. I also have the dodge manual for them. That was a sweet system. The special .94 power steering pump with remote half gallon holding tank was great. You needed that for the lift cylinder. Just keep belt adjusted and you were good to go. Go to library and look up a dodge repair manual, under accessories is the snow plow package.

Dave

19. rustcharger

yeah, but what year dodge? mine is an 87 but they only offered electric setups that year. i think this was all ripped off an older dodge truck, maybe a powerwagon

20. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

what year

I had a 1972, 1976, 1979, if I remember they were all hyd. Then I got an 87,88,89,94gas,94diesel,87 international, 99 international, 86 ford one ton, 94 F 450, 00 gas, 05 diesel 03 gas 95 jeep I think that is bout it for me... oh cant forget the backhoe. Noah used it to unload the ark... 67 5500.

You have a neat unit. It is bullet proof and the fluids are kept warm, all you need to do is keep the belt adjusted. I wore out the control valve and had to buy an new one. That system was made by Chrysler and Parker Hannifin in Cleveland Ohio.

Now with the high amp alt and large pump motors it is a moot point to have an all hyd system. But remember back then a 63 amp alt was big.

Dave