1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Diamond Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wolfie, Sep 5, 2003.

1. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

A long time ago there was a thread about the old diamond V-Plows and i promised to send pictures of the brochure i had when I found it... well I found it so you can see it here: http://www.wolvesdare.com/diamond
  2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Nice old brochure. I like how it "Doglegs" to the left and to the right. It would be nice to pick up one of those plows when they pop up on ebay to slap on an old chevy C20.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Nice brochure.I wonder what the controls were like.
  4. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I can't remember what the cotrols were like... a joystick I believe.. when I first saw that plow at a fair I knew it was a great idea. I wonder why it took so long for the V-Plow to catch on?
  5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Diamond in the rough

My buddy has one of these plows, It has an electric pump and solenoid valves with 3 toggle switches for the control.
    He wants to sell it, I am not sure what to do with a Dinosaur.
    When were these plows made?
  6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That plow in "DogLegs" position looks interesting to me. It does look like an useful blade position for tight turn without spilling snow all over to the side too much. But I would image that the downside would be that it would put extremely amount of stress on the plow center pivot since it is extended so far away. Gotta be careful when swinging wide open as you back-up. :eek:

Otherwise it looks like a decent plow.
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I like that old diamond plow. i always find it interesting how v plows looked in the old days compared to how they look today
    nice brochure:)
  8. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I bet they were built to last too. Looks very durable never seen one up close though.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

hyperpack, I'd put the truck in the picture as a '73 -'75, I'd bet Chuck would know for sure.

I wonder why they dropped production?
  10. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I've seen them in full hydraulic with 3 valves on the dash or floor. I think I still have one of them at the shop. Makes me want to look and take a pict. The electro packs were also avail.
    I didn't wait for the whole pict to drop down but have that literature on file. It's interesting the change in the front end weight for each position. V being the least, Straight, and then scoop. This relation holds true today.

IMO Diamond was the best of the blades for straight forward rugged construction. I prefer the older style ( pre Meyer takeover ) units. If you look closely at the old units and a Fisher MM2 you'll see alot of similarities. Fisher finally started to double pivot the blade like Diamond did for years.

I will have to take a ride to see if the one at the County air port was a Diamond or a Western of the same era that was prototyped. The municipal style of the wings made the unit really throw the snow up and out. Saw these used in '78, '79 and '80 storms but haven't seen one complete and working since.

When I first started repairing plows I got a truck frame in on trade and they kept the V for a piece of equipment. Got the valve unit from an auction with the pump and head gear ( lift frame )

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

We always used Diamonds blades just for the double pivot feature.They were pretty stout.The Fishers would eventually break the a-frame right at the pivot.