1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old chevy question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mark Witcher, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a jeep with a 1968 327 chevy in it. I lost the harmonic balancer bolt. Was wondering if anyone knows what size the bolt is.Its fine thread, and its larger than 3/8, but a 7/16 is too big. Motor was rebuilt in 1985 and was wondering if the 350 crank with a metric bolt could have been put in instead of the 327 crank by the engine shop.

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

it is threaded?

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I thought they were 7/16" fine. However, Ratlover brings up a good point. A lot of early engines (all 283's, some 327's) were drilled but not tapped, as they were just a press-fit. My old man used to race 283's, and said drilling-and-tapping was very easy to do with handtools (bring the hole size up one bit at a time to help keep it centered. Look closely with a flashlight, may need a little degreaser too. If it isn't tapped, now is a good time to do so. I would do it on any HP application, be it racing or offroading.

The easiest would be to just buy a new one from the dealer, or ARP, or even the wreckers for that matter. Hardware store bolts tend to be cheap, low grade stuff and there is no substitute for a proper GM part.

A 1968 327 could have a 350 crank swapped into it because it has the large journal mains and rods already (previous years were smaller). However, a 350 crank has nearly a 1/4" longer stroke, which would require different pistons (ie: 327 and 350 use the same block) so it cannot be swapped 'by accident' at a shop or the parts would not match. Basically, the crank determines if the engine will be a 327 or 350.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Thanks for replies. I got it fixed today. It is a 7/16 x 20 bolt. It was just messed up on the first threads on the end of the crank. Ran a tap in and cleaned it up. :)