1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old CAT loader makeover

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Masssnowfighter, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

Just finished up a cosmetic restoration on my 1972 CAT 950. It had about 8 layers of paint that was covering up a lot of rust. After about a week and half of sandblasting, sheet metal work, painting and putting back together it looks like it just rolled out of the factory.

950.jpg

9501.JPG

9504.JPG

2. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Looking good!

3. Masssnowfighter

from ma

here are a few more pics

9506.JPG

9507.JPG

9505.JPG

4. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

You have a snow pusher for that?

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking machine!

6. Masssnowfighter

from ma

here's its big brother 1977 CAT 966c. I just finished this before I started on the 950. It was a much easier project, it had very little rust and it only took 3 days start to finish.

996c.JPG

966c1.JPG

966c2.JPG

7. Masssnowfighter

from ma

Before and after

966c4.jpg

966c3.JPG

8. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

Awesome work! Showed my wife and asked her what year she thought the 950 was, she guessed a '94 so I guess you did a good job

9. Masssnowfighter

from ma

That's funny, she is smarter then most people at least. I have had quite few average joe (not heavy equipment savvy) people think that they where like 2015 new.

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Both fine looking machines. Its nice to recondition them then go for a newer one. I thought I had a operator hired till he called my 1990 dresser 530 a relic. LoL I don't think he's got a job with me.

11. B80MACK

B80MACK Junior Member

Great looking machines. I was the mechanic for a town for 30 years and we had a 1974 Cat 930 loader. Caterpillar and Mack are the best company's to get parts from for older vehicles. Good luck with them and I hope you get enough snow to keep them busy.

12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

At work we have a 1969 CAT 950 & 1980 966C, both loaders were purchased new by my employer and are only used for shoulder spreading after paving. They have never been used in snow. Pretty good shape.

The 966C was one of 30 966C's that was purchased new in one single order in 1980. When they were delivered, they were all parked side by side in a long row in the shop yard. True story.

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

That's interesting, A company near me completely restored a mid 80's Dresser 550. It is just like it came out of the factory, a lot of time went into it and it was put to work in a small quarry after it was completed.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Should of put some spinners on it

15. Masssnowfighter

from ma

I agree!! They pay for themselves over and over again, so if you have to sink a few thousand dollars in repairs every couple years its not really that big of a deal. Its a hell of a lot better then flushing $16k down the toilet for a new loader winter rental every year.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

That is some longevity of them cat machines. Do you only have one 966 left. I have no use for a wheel loader in my summer operations. I sure would like to have both loaders in my snow moving. I have old 70 Terex 72 21 AA detroit been redone, Center pin been done and had professional paint.

Bought in PA nice shape no rust. It will handle a 14ft pusher with ease. Little more noise than I like in cab. Very reliable mostly use for backup.

17. Masssnowfighter

from ma

Fred G, here are my 80's Dresser 540 & International 515 relics that I sold last fall and I replaced them with the big Cat and the Kitty Cat. Instead of upgrading in years I actually went the other direction. Nothing against Dresser or International loaders, I just wanted the piece of mind of being able to get parts fast and easily. Plus i couldn't stand the cab being on the front half of the machine

dresser.jpg

18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

In the current condition those cats are in and they are paid for I would probably be willing to put 6to10k with out a thought you can't replace it. Center pins are usually your biggest pain.

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I agree everything got to come from komatsu. And they are no ball of fire if you need a part they really think there relics and got a attitude. You up graded in quality.

20. Masssnowfighter

from ma

The Cat parts guys give a little attitude also, soon as you tell them how old it is. Especially the younger parts salesmen ,they don't want to be bothered looking up old part numbers. Does komatsu sell parts for all dresser loaders or just the ones that they briefly manufactured for a few years?