1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old cable western Angle of the Dangle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mohawkmike82, Dec 10, 2007.

1. mohawkmike82

mohawkmike82 Junior Member

Hi guys. New to the site here. I love it. Anyway Ive got an Old Cabled Western that raises and lowers like a dream. It even angles Ok but only with the blade all the way on the ground with no load on the vertical ram. the motor will run slowly with what sounds like a high load. but no movement. adjusted the angle cable several times, attempted to adjust the lift valve out. but its frozen solid. I shattered two snap on impact drivers on it. should I heat it? Help AAAGHHHH. Thanks guys

2. mohawkmike82

Anyone? Im still trying to break the lift valve free but Im getting nowhere

3. bill 4.3l 5spd

bill 4.3l 5spd Junior Member

ever fix it? sounds like my problem

4. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

cable

I always adjusted mine with the cables one is adjustable, the other is not but you can slide it up and down in the socket and change the functionality a little by locking it with the set screw at different locations. The lift valve on mine was frozen too never got the guts to drill it out. I still have the replacement in my tool box(the truck is long gone) The new one is plastic. If you cannot fix it I believe Angelo's rebuild them.
    Good luck

5. lonny in iowa

lonny in iowa Junior Member
    from Iowa

wester cable lift plows.

Here is some information for those having troubles with the cable adjustments on older plows. If you have red cables they are now obsolete and you need to go to the joy stick cable system and discard your old T handle controller.The joy stick cables are black and the plow turn cylinders cable is adjustable. The adjustment process for it is to time how many seconds from full left to full right positions. then reverse the process.If times are equal No adjustment is needed. If times are not equal adjust cable one full turn either lenghthening or shorting and recheck. If the slower movement way is slower yet, you adjusted the cable the wrong way. Continue adjustments untill times are equal.Original Lift cable for the lift cylinder is not adjustable. However some replacement cables are adjustable.For those non adjustable cables there is a big nut on the truck side of the plow control housing, drivers side with an allen wrench center. with the plow on the ground,hold the allen wrench part stationary loosen the large nut no more than one turn to keep the o ring from being blown out.Then turn the allen wrench in (clock wise looking from truck side) 1/4th turn. retighten big nut holding allen wrench part stationary. Lift plow, and then let controller go to nuetral.If plow stays up repeat process untill plow slowly goes back down on its own after lifting.Then back allen wrench part back off (counter clockwise) 1/2 turn. cable is then in adjustment. Hope this helps.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Geez oh Pete....Written better than the manual! prsport

7. mohawkmike82

got it

Finally got it. After shattering 4 spankin new snap on impact driver bits. I used the smoke wrench a little and it finally turned. Had to adjust it out about 1 full turn. All works well. it was a little scary to heat it though.