1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old cable style does not hold blade up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Richard P, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Richard P

Richard P Junior Member

Howdy, Im new to this forum, been plowing for a little over 6 years with an 03 F350 crewcab longbox 7.3, 07 F450 ext cab towtruck (2wd), 98 F250 reg cab long box and now a 03 F150 ext cab shortbox and... just wait, a snowbear! the larger galvanized, modified and beefed up a bit. laugh all you want, its lasted since day one, done many huge commercial lots, it was free, so it owes me nothing!
    I just acquired an older western lift system, with the steel cables. It lifts up, but does not hold. I was told to turn the little screw to fine tune it, but I just can seem to get it right. It lifts up, but does not hold. Do I not have enough fluid? my boss told me to use ATF, I have about 3 quarts in her, and she just dont hold the arm up.
    Ive done a search, but just cant seem to get the exact answer
  2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Hi Rich,
    Welcome to the forum!
    there's a few different little screws you could be talking about, but the one for your problem should be the check valve on the back of the power unit (the one with the jam nut on it). Here's a link to the short version of the cable control mechanic's guide from Western's site.
    Better take a look at that before you make anymore adjustments, because some are really touchy. If you check out the troubleshooting section that should help you out.
    and yes dexron trans fluid is what they used back in the day, but anyone's snowplow fluid would work better in cold weather.

~neal redding, parts mgr, Truck Equipment Inc, DM IA
  3. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

hey rich!
    would you happen to know how quick your blade raises from the ground to a full lift?
  4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Is the top cable (lift cable) an adjustable cable. if so, it might simply be out of adjustment. you do not need an adjustable one for your lift cable. but it will work fine if used.

if you arnt leaking fluid, and it is adjusted well. then it would have to be your valve.

i would take the cover off of the valve, disconnect the cable, and move the lever by hand. holding it in center should hold the plow where it is. that can tell you more. basically if you are having issues with your valve.