1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Cable joystick western

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jfleming, Dec 15, 2014.

1. jfleming

jfleming Member

So I have completely gone through all valves/seals with a complete rebuild. New electric motor, however I did re-use the hydraulic pump. I now can freely turn all adjusters as needed and have a good understanding of how the unit works now. On first test run, I check the pump pressure and it was set at 1500, I then tore it back down adjusted the pump and now we are at 1950. speed seems good from lock to lock and from up to down. The question I pose is should it lift a 250lbs guy sitting on the blade, simulating a snow load? It only lifts off the ground about 2". Not sure if the pump is weak or if I am asking to much of the unit?

2. jfleming

jfleming Member

Any ideas?

3. jfleming

jfleming Member

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I can lift 4 fat chicks with my Fenner pump on my Diamond plow. Pressue equals force and volume equals speed.

5. jfleming

jfleming Member

How much pressure do you run?

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I can't remember but i have it screwed in pretty far. I think i am at 2500work psi. I have not put a gauge on it in a while.

7. jfleming

jfleming Member

What is a safe operating pressure on an old western. I thought about 2000psi was all you were supposed to go so you did not blow out the seals....??

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am running a fenner spx stone modified pump.