1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old C-60 Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I'm purchasing a '77 c-30. Was wondering if anyone happens to know what years the sheet metal interchanges.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

the doors should be the same as the 73-87 pickups and up to 91 with the blazers and suburbans. not sure about the nose though

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There are slight variations through all the years that most overlook...

Doors: 73-87 will all interchange physically but the door panels are different between 73-77, 77-80, and 81-up. Not a problem as long as you have the matching door panels for the generation of doors your using.

Fenders, inner fenders and hoods all interchange between 73-80. Hoods do have a small cosmetic difference (at the front) between 73-76 and 77-80 but they all interchange with no mods.

Radiator supports will also all physically interchange between 73-80 but there's small variations in the grill mounting brackets so not all grills bolt directly into all rad supports. 73-77 take a recessed grill. 78-80 use the flush fit grill. But you can run any grill in any support with some modifications.

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I should of proof read my post. Recently bought 2 trucks. I'm looking for sheet metal for the c-60. Anyone know of a good source?
    For some reason pics are not uploading. Here's a link:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=81966

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

the doors on your c60 are the same doors used on the pickups, suburbans and blazers. a friend of ours needed doors for his c60 flatbed years ago and took them right off a wrecked pickup in his junkyard. i'm not sure where you can get parts for the nose but the doors are still readily available from a lot of aftermarket places.

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks, good info and never knew that on the doors. Actually looks like I may need fenders & maybe running boards.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you look around there's plenty of those trucks in the salvage yards. Especially yards who deal with salvaged school buses. :nod:

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks B&B. I'll be checking out 'em farms as well that usually have a variety of older trucks sitting around. Just wondering which years are interchangeable.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

'73-'80 will directly interchange as far as individual sheet metal parts go. '81-'89 will also work if you change the entire front section as a whole (hood, fenders and grill structure).

10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks B&B. I'm actually working by the farms today and most likely find what I'm looking for.

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

yw stan:)

thanks B&B, you taught me something new. i wish i had a quarter of a third of half of your knowledge:salute:

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't even have that much room in my brain.

What's the engine in the C60? 5speed by 2 rearend?

13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

The brakes were not working so it was unable to drive. Truck was sitting for a while but fired up with a jump. It does have a 2 spd rear & not sure of the tranny. The engine is a BBC but not sure if its a 454 or 427. Tried several differant decoder sites but did not provide much info.

Yesterday I got pulled off the farm job but from what I saw everything had rot in it as well. May have to live with it for a while but eventually will come across some fenders. Its not like "year one" resto companyt would have them.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Won't be a 454. It'll be either a 366 or 427. If you can get the block casting # off the bell housing mounting pad at the rear of the block above the oil filter I can identify it for you. :salute:

15. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks B&B. Can you give me an example?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The number will be cast directly into the block just in front of the trans bell housing flange on the driver side. Will be either a six or seven digit number and will likely start with a three.

You may need to wire brush away any accumulated grease/dirt to see it. Using a mirror and a light makes it easier.

He's an example of where it's located:

SBC-casting-date.jpg

17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

WOW B&B. You really know your stuff..who's better than you? You are a huge help - Thanks. Now if it stops raining here perhaps I can get something done. Feels like we got gyped a month a summer as we head into July.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've always had a soft spot for the older equipment no matter what it is so I have plenty of practice with it. Practice may not make you perfect but it sure makes you knowledgeable. :salute:

Let us know what you come up with.

19. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Here's an oldie I dug out of the garage last summer after sitting close to 20 years. Had it since 1980:

IMG_0519.JPG

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wanna sell it? You own one of the few cars that I have on my "to own" list that I haven't personally yet owned. :nod: