1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old Boss V.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Yomax4, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

Howdi. I am the dumb new guy on here. I am sldo a 1st time plow owner. Couple questions.
    Does anyone know the approx. age of my Boss V. It still has the pump under the hood. Also it is on an 89 F350 and I was wondering if the mount would fit any newer body styles like a 96 F250 ? My closest Boss dealer said he has no idea on either of these questions.

Thank You!! :eek:

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I am not sure on the year but the mount is probably different. I had an RT3 mount for a 96' Ford that would not fit a buddies 89 F-250.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The plow isn't any newer than a 1994 (end of the RT1 era) but could be as old as the mid 80's.

The mount will only fit up to a '91, '81-'91 to be exact and finding a '92-'96 mount will be nearly impossible due to the low production run I'm afraid. So it's either continue running an older truck or update to a newer plow.

4. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

Thanks for the help. So my options are to run the older truck, Find an RT1 mount to fit up to a 96 F series or update plow.

Thanks again much appreciated.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you are good with fab work, you can always fab the old mount to fit the newer truck.

6. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

Yes sir. I sell Welding and Cutting equip. I will have to fab up a workable bracket. I just hope i can get replacement parts if and when I need them. Like coils, Solenoids, Pump etc.

Thanks a lot everyone.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

The pump and all that can easily be replaced and a different one used. Boss has used Monarch since day one I think.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They were only Monarch in the very very early years, then a short run of Websters and then they've been Barns/Haldex ever since. The early Monarch and Websters are nearly impossible to source parts for but any age of Barns isn't much of an issue and everything else can be replaced with newer components except for the main iron work.

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I had no luck finding the truck side mount for my rt1 to fit a 89 chev 2500hd, so I made one, I called all the boss dealers in my area and no luck, if you make one I sudgest over kill making the mount.
    I mover the motor and pump to the out side of the truck and mounted it under the lifting ram, added longer hoses to mount the valve control body under the hood, I also used the wiring diagram for a rt 2, I beleve the same as a rt1 and have had no problems with this set up at all,

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I would think he would be able to just use what he has and cut whatever down or add on and resize. No need to make all new.

11. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Thats all I did cut and add, took like 7-8 hours, I moved the pump and motor to have more room under the hood

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Nowadays, you can barely fit a wiring harness underneath the hood, let alone a pump and motor.

13. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

Mounting the Pump outside is fine idea. Should be an easy mod.

Thanks. What a great forum.

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Now if you are going to do this modification, you must post pics or BAN!

15. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

I shure will post pic's. But...Right now Minn. is as cold as a Mother In Laws Kiss. I plan the mod in the spring or when it gets a bit warmer.

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Well there will still be plenty of us around in the summer to view the pics.

17. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

As long as I am working on the old plow, I plan to remove the center pin and spray powder it with a thin film of hard surface material and tighten up the holes. I sure do appreciate all the help on here.

18. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

Being the dumb new guy, I should get another question. Can anyone think of any reason not to move the Pump outside the engine compartment? I was looking at it today because I need a new hose on the lift cyllinder. Why was it under the hood in the 1st place??:rolleyes:

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's much better protected from the elements under the hood, that's why Boss put them there unlike many of the other manufactures who depended on their weather sealing ability to do the job. Expect freeze up's, corroded cable connections and motor corrosion issues after some time if you move it out front and leave it exposed.

May be able to dig around and find a plastic cover of some type to cover it though. Thumbs Up

20. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I painted my motor and put dieletric grease on the all my electricl connections, I also wash my truck and plow after every storm and have had good luck so far.
    If you can find some type of cover like B&B said, it would help.