1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OLD Boss plow, needs solenoids.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jnjpream, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jnjpream

jnjpream Junior Member
    from CO

Hi,

I just picked up a 8' V-plow that looks like it is of the '84 or '85 vintage. Webster (Rubicon) pump, and the valve manifold is the SH01. The problem I have is the wire insulation is so brittle on the solenoids that they just break off with the slightest movement.

Does anybody know where I can find replacements for the old solenoids? Or does anybody know if the new solenoids (RTII style) will work, or can be modified to work?

Thanks..

Jeff

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I replaced all of mine with Cole Hersee Continuous Duty Solenoids. A solenoid is just a big, muscular version of a relay, just find one with the stones to handle the juice you plan to put through it.

3. jnjpream

jnjpream Junior Member
    from CO

Sorry, guess I should have specified. I need to find replacements for the valve solenoids.

Can somebody shoot me the dimensions for one of the newer valve solenoids so I can see if I can make them work?

Thanks.
    Jeff

4. jnjpream

jnjpream Junior Member
    from CO

For what it's worth to anybody, I was able to remove the metal casing around the old solenoid coils (easy press fit ends on them) and thus I am able to solder on new leads, or rewind the coil if need be.

There are similar sized coils on the web from different electronics mfgs but the cost of them is more than the wire and winding tools to rebuild one.