1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Old 11 pin Plow trying to convert 13 pin lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by maleezer, Dec 1, 2009.

1. maleezer

maleezer Junior Member
    from pa

I just recently bought 13 pin light setup came with wireing harrness..All wires hooked up fine.. expet i have a white and black hanging with no where to plug in.. i drilled out the truck holder to fit the two extra pins.. the plow works fine.. but the lights wont light up on the trun signals do.. If i turn a blinker on all it does is both blinkers blink.. need help... thanks..
    Here is a link with the lights that i bought..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290367581104&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

You can buy the new 13 pin adapter from the dealer for a littl ebit of nothing.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The white/black is for the Smart Hitch function for which your plow isn't equipped. But it would have no affect either way on the lights.

Exactly which lights aren't working correctly, your description isn't clear. The high's and lows work? Markers? But not the turns?

4. maleezer

maleezer Junior Member
    from pa

Neither highs or lows are working marker lights work but when i put a left or a right turn signal on .. both just flash instead of the side i wanted to flash..

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The highs and lows won't work because your new lights use a dedicated ground wire through the 13 pin plug for which your 11 pin truck harness won't have, because the old lights were grounded right to the plow. Need to run a new ground wire from a ground source on the plow side and tie it into the white/yellow wire in the light harness.

Your turn signal issue is probably just a bulb. Either in the socket backward or the bulb is bad and the filaments are touching together.

You did connect the brown ground wire to a grounding source on the plow side correct?

6. maleezer

maleezer Junior Member
    from pa

Here are some pictures.. but i dont think i grounded it.. agh the two wires i told u where sticking out one was brown and the other white..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't say anything about an extra brown previously, hence thats why I asked. The brown need to go to a good ground on the plow.

8. maleezer

maleezer Junior Member
    from pa

Ok i will have to try in the morning thanks for the help will i still need to tye into the other ground or u think that will fix it..

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The brown is ground for the turn signals/markers. Still need to add the new ground to the white/yellow wire to ground the headlamps also.

10. maleezer

maleezer Junior Member
    from pa

ok so the white wire beside the brown in the picture i will need to ground on the plow aswell..

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, thats for the smart hitch. Tape it up and forget about it.

The white/yellow you need will be in the harness, you'll have to either cut the harness coating open to access it; or open up one of the headlamps to access it there and run the wire down to a ground location.

12. maleezer

maleezer Junior Member
    from pa

ok thanks so much for ur help ... i will let u know how i make out tomorrow.. thanks again.. i was about to take it to the garage who installed it years ago and get taken to the wood shed for nothing

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds painful. :D