1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ol' sparky

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sredman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sredman

sredman Junior Member
    from mi

ive got a cable operated western plow. I was plowing today and everything was working just fine,until i went to raise it and it wouldn't raise or angle.sounded like there was a little motor runnning when i moved the stick but nothing would happen. i tried hitting a pile of snow on the corner of the blade to try to force some fluid (thinking maybe it was just a sticky valve don't ask me it's worked before) i took the top cover off the motor and wiggled the magnets and the wires around put everything back together pushed up on the lever and it worked. started the truck and NOTHING this time there was no motor sound just a clicking and a buzzing from the solenoid.bought a new solenoid now it is throwing sparks form the battery post of the solenoid. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

oh one more thing, when the truck is running and i raise or angle the plow the voltage meter goes to 0 ????still nothing happens
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need a motor...sounds like it's worn out about as far as it'll go.
  3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Your meter goes to 0 because your motor is shot and is pulling a ton of amps. It literally is sucking all the juice your truck can give. You do not want to do that anymore because it will put your wiring in melt down. Get a new motor and your most likely set.:waving:

KINNCO Senior Member

I had a local shop rebuild mine for around 50 bucks
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I agree on the bad motor and that could have damaged your new solenoid too.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I put a brand new replacement motor on mine for $100.00. The genuine Western motors are about $150.00.

I don't like to rebuild the replacable components on plow hydraulics. Smartest thing to do with your Western if it starts acting up really bad is a new motor and pump assembly when needed. Replaced one today. Plow motor ran and made a heck of a noise but nothing sounded good and it seemed week the last few runs.

Changed the fluid, scrubbed out the resevoir, installed new motor and pump assembly. Total time, about an hour. Total cost about $250.00. Plow works like brand new again. We change plow fluids every month on all hydraulic plows. We never have freezing issues or stuck valve bodies, etc. For the cost of a little plow fluid, it's stupid not to change it monthly during the season. We also change the engine oil in the trucks at least once during the season regardless of mileage. Usually is about 1000 miles +/-.

Transmission fluids get changed every season and filter changed every 30,000 miles or more. We put drain plugs on all the transmissions. I plan to rig up a set-up to remove the cooler lines and change the fluid dynamically like the dealers use.
  7. sredman

sredman Junior Member
    from mi

well I took the motor in to have it tested, thanx alot for your input i'll keep you guys posted