1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Okay, smart guys... (follow up)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 28, 2010.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, it's been a month since we had the "snow, rain, snow, highs in the single digits below zero" storm over Christmas.

In that month I've gained 3 accounts that I lost at the beginning of the season, 3 banks.

I've gained access to salt 15 of my current accounts at least 1 time in an ice storm (still wouldn't have done much good in this storm).

I've had 8 other properties currently being served by other contractors to salt them (yes, I'll be pursuing them full time this spring),

I've been fired at one account because I charged too much. I charged $200 to salt a parking lot 3 times at a Country Inn & Suites. Not $200 each time, $200 total.
    This was a little below my cost, I was trying to help the account out.

The apartment building next door, I charged them $200 to salt their sidewalks, and they were more than happy with the charges. The apartment building is part apartments, part commercial property, with multiple levels of sidewalks that are 5' wide.

I had to have an hour long conversation with a county employee for a building that we plow, and explain how we won't have as much ice built up on the sidewalks. They said they had to have an employee go back to the property numerous times with ice melt and scrapers. I said I would have had to do the same thing. I guess since I'm a snow removal contractor, that means I can instantly remove ice as well with the plow and no other increases in the budget.

With that being said, last weekend we had another rain event with about .1 - .2" of an inch of ice. I was out all night spreading salt on parking lots where when you stopped, the truck would start sliding sideways if there was a slant on the parking lot.

No one called the next morning other than property owners that I don't currently maintain.

All in all, looking back on it, it was a good storm to open property owners' eyes about the amount of work and salt it takes to do a job like this.
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Glad its working out for ya, especially when you know what your doing.. Isnt odd though when one customer who you know youre given a break to, fires ya cuz they think y our charging too much and another customer that you know youre gettin full price is real happy with service/cost and I had some of em ask "ARE you sure thats enough money??????????????.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Also, I had 7 slip and falls (that I know of) during that storm and the following week, with the worst being a gal that broke her leg at a small strip mall I plow. 2 days before she fell, the property owner passed my number to a different property to salt, yet he did not call me to salt. I guess I have that going for me as far as liability.

So far we haven't been notified of anything. Three of them were at 2 different restaurants and the managers said it's surprising how fast a $50 gift card heals.
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Ain't that the truth... had a resident of a condo complex call me this month to say that during our FALL CLEAN-UP we pulled out his annuals (which neede doing anyways). He did not remember the variety, but thought "They were around $25"... nicely told him to pound sand.

Good luck on the slip and fall... sounds like the property manager stepped over a dollar to pick up a penny.