1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ok, what was the damage toll for this weekend?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by justme-, Dec 22, 2008.

1. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have to ask, first time in my plowing life I have broken down and not been able to do my route.
    I blew the transmission at 4am Sat, one house left and a couple cleanups. Had to nurse it across town in 1st gear.

Who else?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

One older chevy starter, another ford got stuck and the guys tried to free it up by yanking on the rear bumper, oops, did you know a chain will pull right through a bumper????? a tailgate salter on another truck went on me, front axle started making unhappy noises in 4x4 on my brand new f250 and will require a date at the dealer soon, before next weather I hope.

3. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

my drivers window came off the track , that doesnt compare to you guys

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

blew my hydraulic line to driver side angle piston and took out a bunch of lawn

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

tore up some grass, hit a curb, my passenger dore wont open, and my "service 4wd" light is on. Truck is gonna be in and out of the shop tomorow but all my $$$ from the snow will probably be gone.

6. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

My SS operator caught a curb and the sliding side window shattered. Have to order the whole assembly, not just the broken half.

My plow is leaking oil, and I broke a rear spring on the truck.

My other truck, which is used to pull the SS and trailer gelled up this morning and I can't get the fuel to flow.

2-4" on call for tomorrow.

7. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

how hard did you hit that curb?
    might ave bent something if the door wont open. i hope not
    good luck getting it fixed
    ive been ripping lawns like crazy think im going to stop doing driveways for a bit lol

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

One of my trucks died so many times one night (alt couldn't keep up) that it fried the battery and couldn't finish the route. I bought a 130 amp alt for it, made up a wiring harness for it and it should be good to go other than the plow for that truck not really working. I probably need to do to it what I need to do with my other one every 6-8 hours and pull it apart and clean the filter/change the fluid. Off to a good start.

9. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Blew a light bulb in my orange rotating light, and broke the cutting edge on my snow shovel breaking ice off of a drive... nothing at all compared to some of you guys......

10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Had the second battery that my pull plow runs off of die on the very last driveway I was doing at 4am. Could here the relay popping but not enough juice to lift it. I let it sit for a minute and had just enough juice to pick ut up enough to get home. Turns out the relay (I cant find my post but I had a picture on here of it and asked why it was there and noone seemed to know.) was not working and the battery never charged. This battery was a year old. It was never charging and it worked for 12 hours straight before dying. Thats pretty good. So I threw both wires on the relay onto the same post and it worked until I can do it right. That was the worst of it for me., Some of you guys have it real bad.

11. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Friday:
    New loader got delivered!! Came with a FREE empty tank of fuel! :realmad:
    Loaders block heater went
    A sub's plow light snapped after the snow came OVER the plow:dizzy:
    Same sub's truck would stall when the plow was down.
    Check Engine light on 96 1 ton

Sunday
    Windsheild wipers on the loader got replaced (I think they were original's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Monday
    The 06 Ultra blew a hose! Not sure what one yet as the truck is still not home. We had a hose and fluid, but with it being -12 windchill at 2AM, we just got the 1998 One ton from the shop, pays to have a backup!!

Block Heater gets replaced tomarow!!
    New 14 ft and 10ft Protech's tomarow!! ussmileyflag

Other than that the old junk held togetherwesport

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  12. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Plow lost all power to my plow about 2:30 in the afternoon, while the snow was still falling. Thank goodness for back-ups, then the back-up truck lost its tranny, that is why we have more than one back-up, after about 40 straight hours of being awake, all accounts are done, from the double punch of winter weather, and plow is fixed, ready for next storm.

13. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

the weekend of the 9,10&11
    -I killed one battery: replaced it with a $200 yellow top
    -killed the yellow top: free under warrenty
    -replaced the positive and negative battery cables
    -replaced the alternator (high out put)
    -replaced the yellow turd for a 1200 cca lead acid battery
    -jumped the A-frame into the hyd pump housing smashing a hole in the housing and puking oil all over the parking lot
    - fixed the pump housing but had to sub out my commercial accts so I had no income from them
    -spent the day and part of the night in sub zero temps working on the truck in the driveway ( it wont fit in the garage) ---PRICELESS
    - got the hyd's working and went out to plow and taged a curb, snapping the A-frame off on the drivers side.... another day wasted and subbed out commercial accounts so again no income.
    - lost all but 2 of my residential accounts to ambitious neighbors who did them for free. because I did not get there fast enough.:realmad: ( I did not lose the accounts just the income)
    - I have to replace the yellow flashey light on the top of the truck it keeps freezing up and not working.
    --total cost for repairs and fuel that weekend $1400.00

this weekend I found a seeping hole in one of the side shift hoses. bought two new ones and 3 quarts of plow hyd oil
    total cost $40.00

I makes a huge difference in what you bring in for billable hours and total income when you are not tearing up sh**!
    the weekend of the 9th was a huge and expensive learning curve for me, that I am still in the red over but there is alot of winter left in minnesota so I know I will be alright.

slugger

14. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

The door was broken before that, I'd be freaking out if it stopped opening when I hit something:dizzy: I've gotten a little better about the grass, I think I'm getting the hang of stacking :)

15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Bent my prowings, the cable attached to the lift arm snapped and I took out a mailbox that broke my strobe light. Could have been alot worse.

16. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I ripped a widshield wiper blade..but did manage to finish my route.

17. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

engine on my duramax took a dump.. looking for a new rig. my guy bent the heck out of the push box for the skid and the heat in my shop stopped working so the water froze! i think thats enough things for one storm

18. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Lost the plastic hydraulic A-Frame cover for my Curtis, and blew a light in the plow. That and a small amount of lawn was all.

19. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

Wow, I hate reading these posts. I know the feeling when you're out during a storm and the truck dies or the plow won't work etc. Happened to me last year on a few occassions.
    This year just minor stuff like plow not going into scoop. Gel'd fuel last night and plow light issues. Nothing major - knock on wood!

20. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

What are you gonna do with the truck?