1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OK to transport new 800 in bed upside down?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ed salvatore, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Jon or anyone-

Have a question on transporting a new Blizzard blade in the bed of the truck over a long distance. We're thinking of transporting 100 highway miles or so after new installation with a new 800 st. blade. With 2-3 guys, we were wondering if it's ok to flip it over on its face (with mount sticking staight up into the air), pick up one end, put it onto the lip of the tailgate, and then slide it up into the bed. We would be driving over 100 miles or so and would rather not have it hooked up to make this trip. What do you guys think? Any leakage from pump or elsewhere to worry about? OK for the plow?? I'd probably blanket the bed to avoid scratching.

Appreciate it.

Ed

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It may leak out of the vent but I can't see it causing any damage to anything. I say just do it.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt fill it full of fluid till after you got it home.

4. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

upside down in bed?

I'll be transporting after a new purchase and installation, so it'll be full of fluid after it was installed and tested. The vent cap mentioned,, I assume will be on the tank resevoir, in the cap??

It just seems so much easier than driving it hooked up, once we get it in, and I might be on the road visiting someone north of the area pushing my driving distance total home to around 200 miles. I didn't know if I'd damage anything, I didn't think so, but wanted to ask those with more knowledge than myself.

Ed

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, have you ever seen some of the ways guys store their plows...What can happen?

6. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

You should be fine transporting it that way. You might have to clean up any oil that leaks out, but you'll be fine. You should enjoy the new Blizzard. Glad to see one more added the the group of happy Blizzard owners. It makes me proud.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  7. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

transport in truck bed

Thanks guys for the info. We'll give that a shot rather than trucking the plow over the long distance.
    Thanks again.
    Ed

8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

i'd put some tape or something over the vent to try and limit any spillage.

9. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

plugging vent holes

That's what I was thinking of doing, is taping the reservoir cap vent hole. Any other areas where a potential leak might have to be watched for, and taped?
    Thanks
    Ed
    Boston

10. RacerX

RacerX Junior Member

ed dont know if your 800 is like my 680 but when I tipped it up on the blade like I used to do my fisher a good amount of fluid came right out

Dean

11. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Upside down transport/leakage

Thanks Dean,
    Appreciate the feedback. Where did you get the leak and were you able to plug it with anything? I'm looking at taping over the vent hole in the tank, but don't know if any other spots might leak????

Ed,
    Cape Cod

12. RacerX

RacerX Junior Member

Ed this was last year but I seem to remember it came right out of the resevoir

after I tipped it I took off the cover and saw that there was no way I could tip it up on its face without fluid coming out :realmad:

again your 800 maybe diffenrent than my 680

13. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Ed, personally I find the biggest problem with transporting the plow upside down in the bed of the pickup is that the plow markers get all bent up and the top edge of the blade get's scratched up.

Now for the serious answer. If you are taking the time to put the plow in the bed, why not sling it and lift it up and put it down in the bed like it sits on the ground. It will fit in the bed of a fullsize pickup that way. We do it all the time.

Jerre