1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ok to leave salt in the spreader for say , a week?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Maleko, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Im new to the sander salt part. Been plowing forever .
    Is it ok to leave magic salt in my v-box for say a week??

I always have about a 1/8 to 1/4 yard or so left when im done salting.
    The smallest I can get is a half yard at a time, so if im empty I cant just go buy a 1/4 yard if I have to touch some places up.

their might not be a storm for say a week..

Instead of unloading it into large bins, ( I dont have a place to store it and load it with a machine) what will it hurt leaving it in? I do have a place I can put it inside if the material should freeze to thaw it out..

Any thoughts form people with more experience on this topic than me?

Thanks in advance
  2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i dont know about magic but regular rock salt should not ber kept in spreader for more than 3-4 hours without some movemnet of the conveyor. you are asking for trouble the problem is during that week if it warms up and than the temp dips frozen solid :dizzy:
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Even plain salt will be fine if left in where warm.
  4. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Ok, But what if it freezes?
    Then I bring it into a heated garage to thaw, will it be ok?

What damage is being done?

Is it the freezing of the salt that is bad?
    If so does it not work as good if it freezes and thaws in cycles?

Or the corrosion that may occur faster to the equipment?
  5. cretebaby

Yes but it will take a while.

Nothing other than the salt being unusable.

Only because it freezes into a large mass.

Makes no difference.

Not really. Unless you wash and neutralize the spreader between each use it will make no difference.
  6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Thank You

Thank You
  7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I can tell you that unless you like using a large sledge hammer and beating the heck out of rock hard pile if salt, then do not leave it in the spreader. Been there and done that and its no fun. It takes a very long time in a heated garage to thaw out frozen salt and trust me it will always happen at the worst time. Learn from those of us that have to use a big hammer and waste salt.

Regards Mike
  8. cretebaby

If you ever have froze salt in the vbox and need to thaw it fast use a pressure hose like at the car wash and soak it all down and clean out by the gate will usually do the trick.