1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OK stupid question(s).....MM I

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Nascar Fan, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

I have a Fisher MMI plow.It is 6.5' and was used for my Toyota pickup I used to own.I now have a 1997 Ram 1500.I sold the truck and kept the plow but not the plates-mounts whatever from the truck.I need to know if I buy the plates and get it bolted to the truck will this still fit my plow?I went to the dealer (Arrowhead Equipment) and he quoted me $500.00 for the truck mount no wiring.The wiring and control would be an additional $400.00.He then told me it would be cheaper to buy the light duty series 7.6' unit installed for $4000.00.I do not even remotely begin to have $900.00 for a truck mount and wiring let alone $4000.00 for a new unit but if I bought the mount from say Ebay and the wiring from the same place would this work?I know it would not be wide enough to clear the front tires but it beats doing the 4-5 driveways I have(family) with a shovel.Thanks in advance for any input .
  2. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

You could most likely find a mount for your truck for MUCH cheaper on ebay. The going rate for mounts on ebay seems to be around 200-300 bucks. Sure its used, but for half the price its worth it in my opinion. The plow should fit into the mounts correctly, but if i was you id either go onto fishers website and check the measurements of the coorect width of the mount for both trucks. (page sohould be under tech support - plows - mounts - installiton instructions) or somthing like that. As for the wiring, im not sure if you would be better off on ebay or just going to the dealer. Hopefully theres somebody who can answer that for you on here. Good Luck.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

be very cautious of wiring on ebay. Considering the environment it is in and the fact that wiring and water/salt don't mix, wiring can be trashed pretty easily if it wasn't installed in the right places. For the wiring, ide go with new as on ebay, you may find someone saying it will fit your truck thinking it will, but it may not be the case.

Wiring- new
    Plates- used

just my .02
  4. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Being that your plow is a 6'6" plow it may be completly different than the 7'6" and 8' plows that are made for a 1/2 ton truck. I think the dimensions for the vehicle mount will be different. The 6'6" plow will have a smaller "A" frame than the larger 7'6" and 8' plows so it will not work with a 1/2 ton truck without modifications. I could be wrong here as it's been a while since I have worked on plows or even seen a 6'6".
  5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Check with the guy in ME. He is listing Fisher intensifires on Ebay now. His email is plowguy@gwi.net. He has everything and its all used. I went and looked at plow he had. But he seem to think it was made out of gold so I passed. But he knows Fisher plows
  6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Allegedly all MM plows (1 or 2) will fit all MM push plates. But I agree with the above post that you mgiht see a difference in the width of the A frame. Pretty easy to check though...go to Fisher's website and download the installation manual for your truck's push plates, it will give you the required on center width dimension for the push plates...go check the mount width on the plow that you have right now and see if it mates up...if it does you can put it on the Ram.

On big question I would have though is how effective the 6.5 can be on the front of a full size truck. I don't think its wide enough to give you the maximum effectiveness...if you angle the blade one way or another its likely to clear an area less than the width of your truck, which means that you'll be driving right over the snow that you're clering instead of having a bit of wiggle room...it could also present a problem with trying to get the edge of your driveway cleared proerly since your tires will always be out farther than your plow.

Not saying you can't use it for sure, but I'm not sure how effective it will really be. You mgiht want to sell what you have here or on EBay and look around for either a used one here or buy a new one from the dealer.
  7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

They will fit. BUT they are not correct at all. I moved a mm1 with my mm2 push plates. The problem is they sit back to far under the truck. I crushed my front plate holder
  8. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

Actually, they will not fit. The dimensional width of the lower gear (the part the vehicle mounts slide into) are narrower on the HS/LD series of plows than the RD and HD Series.

The distance between the vehicle mounts for compact trucks such as the Toyota, etc. is narrower allowing them to slide into the LD lower gear. The pushplates for full size trucks such as 1/2 tons, 3 /4 tons, etc. are wider apart when mounted to the truck.

The primary reason for this is two things. The truck frame rails are much narrower/closer together on the compact trucks than the are on full-size, and to prevent the plows and vehicle mounts from being interchangeable, and having grossly mis-matched plow models and truck applications.