1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OK, so this happened..HELP!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by aubbie, Jan 1, 2014.

1. aubbie

aubbie Member

2. aubbie

aubbie Member

This is Aubbie again....I didn't think the image would come up but it did///cool. Please let me know if this can be fixed or am I out of business....and I just got 2 Hotels...poop

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

4. aubbie

aubbie Member

Are you serious? A friend told me my plowing days are over for this year....excellent! Thing in I am in Canada...do you, or anybody know the name of the plow? Is it an E47? So there is a screw on cover and that is what broke? I DID have a huge load of wet snow on which I was trying to get up on top of the bank. So what would I tell my Meyer dealer up here....what should I ask for? Man that's great news...I have a few more pictures but they all show the same thing

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Im pretty sure thats not a E-47. Doesn't look like my E-47 at all.

Mike

6. aubbie

aubbie Member

Hey there TJC Transport...do you know the model number of my plow? It's painted so I can't tell. Also do I want the cover with the seal kit...I emagine so. I live way out in the boonies, there;s no plow mechanics near here...I have to travel to the city....Halifax ns, Canada

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That is an e60H, But uses same cap as e47, e46, e58, e57. Shorten your chains so the plow hits the lift stops and this wont happen again. Also do a pressure test.

Also don't forget to order new nytite washers since they are not reusable.

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't listen to your friend anymore, he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about!

9. aubbie

aubbie Member

Man you Guys are great, thanks so much

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Very easy fix. I would actually do a whole seal
    Kit since it's apart and open to the elements when you are replacing the top cap. Just the seal kit, you don't need the master seal kit.

11. ddobson

ddobson Junior Member
    from pa

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to install stacking stops on that unit. It will stop that from happening again. check the studs and make sure they didn't rip out of the base/sump.

13. tjctransport

i did not look close enough to the picture, and posted links for E-47 top plates.
    but as Kimber said, the E-47 and E60 use the same top plate.
    i tried searching for a meyer dealer in NS, but the meyer dealer locator does not recognize your postal codes.

any parts house that sells snow plow parts should be able to get you that part. just ask for a top cover for a meyer E-60 pump with seal, and a pack of the nylon washer seals for the mounting screws.

14. aubbie

aubbie Member

I called a Guy who sells Meyer...he says he can install a new cap tomorrow. Now what else should I ask him to do? Thanks

15. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

You could have him replace the cup seal on the ram and clean out the bottom of the reservoir. I just had mine apart today and there was a lot of crap built up down there. I'd definitely have him check the relief pressure. If it is too high you will blow the new cap apart. Like someone already mentioned, you should have stops so that when the plow is all the way up the piston still has a little trave left. It's the piston slamming against the cap that causes it to break like yours did.

16. tjctransport

agreed. while he has the cap off, clean out the tank and change the oil for new clean.

17. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

did anyone mess with the pump relief adj. on that pump?? Its supposed to be set at 2000 psi (for E-60H) ... if it starts going higher it will blow the top cap off just like that. the reason you see this on the 60 series pumps more often is because of the adjustable pump relief adj. people screw with it, having no idea how to set it... and boom.... Also, the first years Meyer came out with the Drive pro... there is NO adjustable stops... I know this for a fact cause I have a bunch of them, and all were purchased factory new... also... Several of my EZ classic setups (also purchased new) did not have adj. stops. Most of the time the top caps blow is because the relief pressure is set to high, although it could happen from the piston smacking the top cap.... myself, as well as a good friend of mine who is one of the most respected meyer distributors around have rarely seen blown top caps on the 46/47/57/58 series pumps as they come with pre set pump relief pressure from factory.... A lot of good information above.... get her a new seal kit/packing etc ..Good luck!!

18. aubbie

aubbie Member

lots to tell the Guy who's going to install the cap...I'll make sure I'm there when he does it. I'd try it myself but years of trying this kind of stuff has told me to get other people to do it. It's -20 up here anyway. Thanks again

19. aubbie

aubbie Member

You're not gonna believe this...

After all you great people telling me everything about my plow amd what I should tell the guy who's going to work on it, check this out. I drove in the around 11 this morning...blizzard outside. He told me on the phone they had many different sizes of Meyer caps, O-rings, lots a parts. I watched his turn the reservoir upside down and sort a clean it out. He got the gunk out of there and sprayed some kind of cleaner in and wiped it out. I noticed an old plow on the floor. I went for a smoke, came back and he had the old dirty plow in a table vise getting the cap off. I asked him what he was doing...he said getting a cap for my rig. Turns out they have NO parts. I got a used cap, and get this, they didn't have a vented bolt for the top of the cap, so he put a regular bolt in....I screamed blue murder so he drilled a hole in the top of the bolt and put a cottar pin in the hole. They had no O-ring....he said my old one was fine, and they had no seals. I was speechless...he put it together and handed me a bill for $200...I got it down to 150 but I had to pay it...And get this....I got them to do a pressure test, and it was 2500psi...they said that was fine, I said no it's not but they had no time for me anymore. We are in the middle of one of the worst blizzards in years right now....there was nothing else I could have done. The place in the city was back ordered on everything and I have to get working. Oh yeah, the bill included 3 quatrs of fluid...boss fluid...so what do you think of that Guys? Remember the area I am in is very rural..thats no excuse though...the Guy lied to me. He's a welder and started selling plows a few years ago.....I was not impressed

20. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

2500 is right unless it has the updated bigger piston, they should be set to 2000.