1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ok, so my 810 is bent. what should i do?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by maelawncare, Nov 5, 2008.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Ok well as some of you may know. i had a pretty bad accident with my plow last year. Ran into another truck.

I wound up bending the A frame pretty good. Everything works just fine. Its just that it sits on a angle. Which is causeing the drivers side to wear a LOT more than the other. And my passanger side wing doesnt work anymore. Other than that its perfect.

So what do you guys think? i already took it to a frame shop and tried to have them bend it back, but no luck. They couldnt straight it back out.

Should i just buy new edges and run it till it dies? Which could be soon. Or get a new plow? I really having something that is broken, and cant trust if its gonna break or not.

Any ideas on how i could fix it?
  2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Don't remember all the circumstances of your accident/damage, but if the only part of the plow that is bent is the A frame, just replace it. Edges to me would be expensive to be burning through with unequal wear, also not gonna scrape good if uneven, till the low side is worn down.

What year plow are we talking about?

Not enough information given to make any comment about the passenger wing not working. Was it damaged by impact, did it work at all after the accident?
  3. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would either replace the A frame, or if its on a Chevy, you could just lower the torsion bar on the high side until it sits even LOL
  4. maelawncare

heres the orginal post. and the pics are after the last storm of the season. after the edges were already worn down. so the passenger side sits higher.

I dont know if its JUST the A frame. I dont know much about them. And the closest dealer is 130 miles away. So i cant just take it to them. I think it might be the A frame and the other black thing the A frame bolts too. So even if i replaced everything of the frame, im not 100% that would fix it. I already got a new mount on the truck, love insurance. So thats not it.

And see my wing is also messed up. So i would possible have to get a new wing too. Or just not use it.

And i just got a quote for a new speedwing with just the plow itself. It was $4100. No mounts or harness. Is that a good deal? Only 1 dealer to go to.

And yes it does clear like crap.
  5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I would definitely get it checked out and fixed up. If it the A-frame, replace it. You are talking about heading into winter with faulty equipment. That is not an option I ever consider, enough things will go wrong anyhow, you don't need to start out limping.
  6. maelawncare

how much is an A frame and the other black bracket?
  7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I would call Jerre and ask him for one of his modified a-frames and maybe the quadrant too! That wing should be an easy fix..... Are there any good fab shops near you?
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Take the plow back to the dealer and get them to diagnose the trouble. Its only 130 miles.
  9. maelawncare

ha ur funny. only 260 miles round trip. with a plow on the front. and no i do not know anybody with a winch or fork lift to put it in the back of my truck. plus i have a short bed so its a little long.
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

only 260miles round trip. do it, thats not far at all. Dont see the big deal, call them and tell them your coming, drive there, fix it, drive home, probally save $3k vs buying a new one.
  11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

So your telling me you have no plow dealers (doesn't have to be a blizzard dealer), no fab shops, or anything in your area? Are you mechanically inclined at all? It's all nuts and bolts!
  12. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

It sounds like He doesnt have any nuts or bolt. And really isnt in the plow business.
  13. maelawncare

Nope no plow dealers anywhere near me. And i dont like random people touching my stuff unless they know what their doing. Which is why i normally take my stuff to professionals instead of me doing it. I can do it, i just dont want to mess something up that i rely on so much. You guys gotta know that feeling.

But after talking to jerre it looks like the parts are gonna cost me $2k to get. And its just unbolt, rebolt. So i am going to try and do it myself. So hopefully i dont screw it up. :D Will post pics of the process as it goes along though. So people will know for future reference.
  14. lubricity

lubricity Member

The "A" frame is $700. Just buy it and get the plow back to being right as mentioned above. It takes about 3 hours to change it around. If you are not mechanical. Figure on 5 hours.
  15. maelawncare

well i was looking through jerres pics on his website. do you guys think a bent pin could make the plow sit unlevel like that?
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

For all this messing around you could have drove to your Blizzard dealer. You have to take things apart sometimes to see what is wrong and now that you've left it untill the last minute you have a problem, Have some common sense and look at these things before the season begins. If you really want help take the blade off the truck and take some detailed picks of the A frame so we have some idea what were talking about. We fix our stuff through out the summer so we don't have these problems.
  17. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

You've got more than a bent pin, everybody says A frame, as you yourself said. see below

"Ok I finally got the plow off and took the truck in. Its the A frame. Truck side is fine and you can see the A frame is bent when you stand back."

You also undoubtedly have a bent wing pin, maybe damaged slidebox/wing as well, it may give the appeareance of being unlevel, but I don't see that it is going to significantly change the total geometry of the plow, unless it is really bound up tight. Your pictures indicate the bent pin is causing the wing to ride high, on the right side, not down. Your A frame is twisted down on driver side, and the wing pin is bad on the right, IMO

Fix/replace Aframe
    Replace wing pin and repair wing/slidebox as needed.
  18. maelawncare

well i have been waiting about a week now just to hear back from jerre. finally got back to me today.

and i havent had anytime this season to work on it. i have 70hr work weeks, and this has been the wettest year yet, so no summer break.

Ok so we know the A frame is bent. Would that mean that the push beam is bent as well? Cause the bolt for the A frame goes right into it. i didnt see any fiscal damage to it, but thought maybe it might be.

And i dont know anything really about the wing. I do know that the pin is bent, and the inside of the wingbox is curled back some. Which is stoping it from going back in, untill i hit it agaisnt something. i was going to take it apart and see if i can hammer it back together though. I guess when i hit the other truck, the wing got pushed in some and curled back the steel. The hydrolics on it work just fine, it just catches when going back in and go back flat against the main board.

I will take some more pictures of it later when i go out to the shop. And post them here. I wont be able to get any of the bent wing cause i dont feel like hooking up the truck.
  19. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It's possible that just the a frame is bent where it attaches to the plow itself. Picture it twisted so the truck side is level but the plow end is out of whack.
    It's also possible the truck side is bent as well. It could be the side plates or the truck frame.
  20. maelawncare

whole new mount on the truck already. insurance paid for that. and frame on truck is not bent.