1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OK, No Relay

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mike bisbano, Jan 25, 2002.

1. mike bisbano

mike bisbano Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I'll check those fuseable links, as well as the ignition switch. By the way, is there a special tool needed to take the ignition switch out? I don't see any fasteners, or any obvious way to take it apart, with out mangling it like the robbers do.
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Mike you don't need any special tools at all, I think that your looking at the "ign lock" that's the where you put the key. Under the dash and on top of the column towards the floor you will find the "ign switch" which is held in place with two small fastners. It is easy to change if you lower the column, but beware that you need to "unhook" the shift indicator cable from the plastic collar on the column if its an automatic. You should see it when you remove the plastic trim that's just above the column, than remove the attaching nuts and lower the column. I would check the neutral safety switch before replacing the ign switch, it's mounted a little lower down and should have a few purple wires plugged into it which run to the starter solenoid. You can feed 12 volts to them and you should be able to activate the starter if all wiring going to the unit are okay. If so then check out the ign switch and its wiring.